CHAPTER 27

Mitch: hey babe, everything ok? you haven't been answering

Me: hi mitch i'm really sorry

Me: a lot of stress y'know?

Mitch: are you home? i'll be there

Me: don't worry about it i don't wanna bother you

Mitch: i love seeing you

Mitch: i'll be there as soon as i can

His words make me smile. I close my textbook and gather my pens into my pencil case, standing and putting everything on the desk across the room. While I'm up, I unlock the door, then move to sit back down on my bed.

Anna wasn't here right now, she was chilling in Alex's dorm, doing God knows what. And what was I doing on this Sunday night? Sulking, alone. At least some company would be good.

I lay back on my bed, closing my eyes and letting my heavy thoughts drown out the silence until the door opens.

"Hey." Mitch says quietly, coming over to sit with me on my bed.

"Hi." I say, sitting up as he moves his arms around me, pulling me close to him. He leaves soft kisses on my shoulder, then moving his attention to my cheek and giving me another kiss there. After that, he stays holding me until I make an effort to move back.

Looking at him, sitting across from me, I feel so much better just being in his presence. "I'm really sorry, I'm trying to put effort into our relationship, I am-"

"Nat." He cuts me off, shaking his head. "Don't worry about a thing." He copies my position, crossing his legs and taking my hands, holding them between us.

"You can't say that, Mitch, I haven't been a good girlfriend obviously if I'm cutting you off," I counter, instantly feeling bad about the way I've treated the kindhearted boy in front of me.

"Nat..." he starts, tucking a loose hair behind my ear. He touches the hair over my shoulder, playing with it, then looking back up at me. "Vent to me. Tell me everything."

"It's a lot." I shake my head.

"I have time." he says.

I give him a small smile, looking down. "I'll just,.. okay, whatever. Well, school's very academically demanding. It's hard. Anna and Alex have been fucking annoying me, all they do is make out on her bed and do other things, and they won't even talk to me because their lips are too busy with each other. I'm stressing out about my own relationship, since I have to basically keep it a secret. Um,... I miss my parents. And, I'm feeling shitty now after thinking about parties and realizing I only have, like, three friends." I say, taking a breath. I could feel my face red, and tears threatening to fall from my eyes, but I didn't want to cry in front of him.

He seemed to know. He leaned forward, wiping a slow finger under my eye. Then he put his hands on my cheeks, coming closer. "Breathe, baby." he whispers, smiling at me.

I do, feeling like chuckling too, but the tear finally rolls down my cheek. I must look like a maniac, crying and laughing and pouring my heart out.

Mitch gives in, putting his arms around me and bringing me to him again. "I'm gonna offer my help, okay?" he says into my hair. I nod, so he leans back, wiping my cheeks for me.

"I don't know how I can help with the school one, though. But maybe you can get together with people to study? You seem to be doing well right now, though." he says, keeping his hands in mine.

"I'm not doing that bad. But look how hard I'm trying." I scoff.

"It's worth it, Nat. Completely worth it." he assures me, and I nod, sniffling. "When you're older, successful in your job, you'll be so happy with all the work you put in now to get there." he says. "What else?" he asks.