CHAPTER 13

I had my tickets checked at the United Center, preparing for the night. I went to buy popcorn and a coffee, then heading to my seats.

Warmups were just starting when I got to my seats—in the lower bowl, but higher up. Row 16, a view I thought was perfect.

I set my food down, standing up to watch the team warm up. I would've moved down further to see, but I didn't want to bring too much attention to myself.

I watched Auston and Mitch talking about something, taking their turns shooting. Auston looked right up to my seats, knowing where I'd be. He smiled, and I mouthed good luck. He nodded.

The game started, and it was so exciting to watch the United Center as the game went on. The fans were so... crazy. Thankfully I wasn't the only one in a Leafs jersey, though.

The game was a close one, it was tied after three periods meaning it had to go into overtime, then shootouts.

Shootouts scared the crap out of me, especially seeing Auston prepare to shoot. I held my breath as he skated up with the puck... and it went in. I was shouting good things and jumping up and down. Lots of people looked at me.

Mitch was to shoot, as well. I had to cover my mouth with my hand, biting on my thumb to keep from exploding. He skated up with the puck, but it didn't go in the net. I closed my eyes, shaking my head and yelling "it's okay!".

Chicago ended up winning the game, but it was such a fun one to be at. I was happy to be here. I had help in finding the dressing room the Leafs would come out from. I stood outside waiting with a number of other people wearing either jerseys or suits.

It was about 30 minutes before they came out. Auston and Mitch came out at the same time, but Mitch was in front. He was looking down, though, so he didn't see me right away.

Auston pushed past Mitch, walking quickly to me. "Hey." he said when he saw me, and I pulled him into a hug.

"Good game. Nice goal." I said into his ear. He gave me a small squeeze before letting me go.

Mitch was beside me, and when I met his eyes, they widened. "Nat! What are—..." he trailed off, shaking his head.

"Surprise." I laughed, hugging him, too.

"How the hell—..." he started again, pulling back. "Explain!"

I glanced at Auston but he was looking down. "He helped." I said, pointing to him.

"Wow. I'm surprised." Mitch shook his head.

"Okay, uh, Nat, let's go, I wanna get out of here." Auston mumbled, grabbing my hand. I looked down at our hands, and when I looked at Mitch, I saw he was, too.

"I'm coming, just have to do something. I'll meet you there." Mitch waved off, walking in another direction.

"Don't you have to take the bus?" I asked Auston.

"Um..." he trailed off, checking his phone, then looking around. His eyes stopped on something, then he looked down at me. "How were you going to get back?" he asked.

"I don't know, call an Uber." I shrugged.

"Okay, I'll come with." he said, taking out his phone.

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Yeah, I'm doing it right now." he said. He led me through some hallways and doors, nodding at guards and employees.

"Eager much?" I finally said, holding up our still intertwined hands.