CHAPTER 19

I really had to start making other friends. At least someone I could go on these roadtrips with. After the plane landed, I had a few hours to myself before the game started. I figured I could try passing time in the hotel, but honestly, without Mitch or Auston, I'd feel pretty lonely.

Anyway, I got ready by taking my time in the shower, then blow drying my hair and curling it. I spent more time on my makeup, wanting to look nice. After picking out something nice that I packed, I was conflicted with how to pass the time for another three hours. See, this is where a friend would've came in handy.

I scrolled through the television channels to see if anything good was on TV, and I settled for an old movie. I think I fell asleep about halfway through, but it was fine, meaning I'd be rested enough for tonight.

I woke up around 6 and continued watching the movie. The jet lag didn't help, but it made for good timing, as I only had a bit of time before I could leave.

When I did leave, I called a cab to go to the Rogers Place. Will was the reason I had gotten a seat in this arena, and he was also the reason I was able to meet up with the boys tonight. He told me to wait in the arena after the game until the boys came out, which they usually did when they were on the road. I wasn't too educated on any of this, but Will told me he'd handle it.

I lined up and scanned my ticket on my phone, wandering around the foreign arena. I bought myself a pizza and water, then going to take my seat.

I noticed that a few of the ladies I was sitting around were familiar, then putting two and two together, I realized that these were some of the wives and girlfriends of the players. Well, at least I'd know some people here.

I was thankful that some of them recognized me, too, and we made conversation throughout the game.

The game was a fun one. Auston scored in the first period, and he definitely looked happy. Mitch also played well all game. I was so happy for them.

It was Auston's 10th goal of the season, and all around me, fans were talking about how good he was. Even Edmonton fans were saying it, and I couldn't stop smiling all night.

The game ended with the Leafs winning, which felt simply amazing. The girls stayed with me afterwards, because they were planning on seeing the boys, too. I tried following their lead, not really knowing what I was doing.

Still, I felt so out of place around these girls, but what was I to do? I tried pushing aside those feelings as I stared down at my black heels.

The players all started coming out and meeting with some of their family and friends. I watched with a smile, but that smile slowly faded after it had been ten minutes since the first player came out and there was no sign of either of the two of them.

I tried waiting patiently, but when a guard announced that there was only 5 minutes remaining, I began to lose hope. I checked my phone, but I had gotten no texts.

I stood up, about to leave, when I finally saw them. Will had walked in first with Mitch and Auston behind him. Will was looking around, but none of them had seen me yet. I could feel the smile growing on my face as they came closer.

I was still staring at them as they came up closer, when Auston finally noticed me. At first he looked confused, then he smiled. I didn't get to see Mitch's reaction as Auston cut into my row, opening his arms.

"How the hell are you here?" he asked into my shoulder.

I just chuckled. "Surprise." I say, leaning back and seeing his confused face again. He laughs too, shaking his head.

"What?" is the first thing Mitch says, his eyes wide and mouth open.

"I know." I laugh, hugging him, too.