CHAPTER 43

The phrase "it'll get better in the morning" rarely rings true, and why people still use it is beyond me. 

Often when people face a problem at night, other people would voice that "sleeping it off" helps, and one's mind would eventually be made up in the morning. It's a weird concept, and to me, it seems useless. Waking up still brings about the same problem, because obviously nothing would've been solved just by sleeping. 

Waking up to a gloomy day outside seemed just too coincidental this morning. I groaned as the first alarm went off way too early. The ringing was coming from the other side of the bed. 

"Turn it off." I groan, waving my hand aimlessly. I could hear my boyfriend chuckle beside me as the ringing finally stopped. 

"It's ten o' clock." He mumbled.

"Thirty more minutes." I said, turning to face the other side of the bed. 

"Are you sure?" He said.

"Yes." I groaned. Why wouldn't he be quiet? I just wanted to sleep. I closed my eyes again and fell asleep quickly. 

The alarm went off again. I turned to face Mitch this time as he reached over to turn it off. 

I reached up to wipe my eyes. I wish I could've slept longer. My thoughts kept me up most of the night. 

"Good morning beautiful." Mitch said, leaning in to give me a kiss. 

I put my hand over his face. "It's too early." I squeaked out. 

He rolled his eyes, sitting up in bed. "How'd you sleep?" He asked. 

"I didn't." I answer. "Not much, anyway." I closed my eyes. 

"Stay awake babe, we have lots to do today." He shoved my arm a bit to keep me awake. 

I rolled my eyes, sitting up beside him. "No we don't." I answered. 

"We gotta get ready for Mexico." He responds, sneaking in a quick kiss to my cheek before taking off the covers and standing up. 

"Why are you acting different?" I asked. Was it possible he could know what I was thinking-the thoughts that had kept me up all night?

"I'm not." He said, stretching his bare arms over his head. He walked over to his bag to pick out some clothes. 

I stood up as well, walking over to my dresser. I watched him lean down, sorting through some items. I had to say it. "We need to talk." I got out, my eyes wide right after the words came out. I wish I could shove them back in. I didn't want to ruin the morning.

Silence. I couldn't turn to look at him, instead staring at my dresser. "Why?" He said. 

"Things have been different." I said. I didn't know what to say. I regret even saying anything. 

I could feel Mitch's eyes burning into my back. "Natalie." He said, his voice serious. 

"You know things between us have been different the past few weeks." I said quietly, staring down at my hands. 

"Because of everything with Auston." Mitch states. 

"Yes." 

"Can you at least have the audacity to face me when you're talking to me?" Mitch said, his voice suddenly changing direction. 

I rolled my eyes, turning around. He looked so annoyed with me, leaning against my vanity, still shirtless. We couldn't be further apart from each other right now. 

"I seriously think he's tearing us apart, Mitch." I start, finally facing him. "And we need to do something about it." 

"I heard you get up last night." He said to me. "You went to go talk to him?"