CHAPTER 23

I didn't see Alex again for a while. I went back to class for the week, unfortunately, and so did Anna.

The Leafs played at home every other day this week. For some reason, I chose not to go. It had something to do with the "guy time" thing I mentioned on the road trip. I just didn't feel up to going alone. I felt fine watching the games on my TV.

I did, however see Alex on Thursday. I was trying to avoid him for the week, in fear that I might've said something embarrassing at the party. But at 5 o' clock, while I was sitting on my bed, doing homework, there was a knock at my door. Anna was in class, so I got up to answer the door myself.

I opened it a bit to check, seeing Alex. "Hey," I said quietly.

"Hey." he says. I open the door further for him to walk in.

"I was kinda hoping you'd be wearing what you wore Friday night." he smiles as I take a seat on my bed, moving my homework so he can sit.

"But instead you find me in PJs." I chuckle, looking down at my pajama shorts.

"It's okay." he says. "I kinda thought you'd come by my room first."

"I was scared to see you." I admit. "Kinda embarrassed about Friday."

"Why?" he laughs.

"I might've said something bad that I don't remember."

"You didn't." he promises.

"Nothing bad?" I clarify.

"Everything you said was pretty ordinary." he shrugs. "Except for the funny stuff."

I roll my eyes, crossing my legs. "Speaking of funny stuff," he starts again. "Was I really drunk? Or was Marner actually at the party?"

I can't help but smile. "He was there."

"Holy shit." Alex mutters. "So you're dating Mitch Marner? You kept saying he was your boyfriend, then changing your mind, or something."

I widen my eyes, not looking at him. "He's not my boyfriend. And don't tell anyone that he was there. Or that he's anything more than my friend." I warn, and Alex's face twists into a knowing smirk.

"Oh, so he's..." he trails off, and I groan.

"My friend." Alex just nods sarcastically.

"That's so cool, though. That you're friends with him." Alex says.

I just smile. "Do you know Auston?"

"... Matthews." he says, his eyes widening again.

"Friends with him, too." I say. Words can't describe the shock on his face. Or maybe it's excitement, I don't know. "I grew up with him."

"That's so cool." Alex laughs. "So you aren't from here?"

"No, I lived in Arizona." I say. He nods.

"Do you go to games?" he asks, turning so he's sitting against the wall.

"Yeah, I try. I just haven't gone to any this week." I tell him.

"How come?"

"I don't know. I haven't wanted to." I say.