CHAPTER 4

"Toronto is proud to announce, from Zurich, Mens' League Switzerland, the U.S. program: Auston Matthews." Hunter says, and I'm the first to get on my feet.

I'm smiling at him, and his mouth upturns into a smile, too. Auston hugs his parents first, his mom already tearing up at seeing her son accomplish something so big.

Auston comes to me next, and I hug him, squeezing him so tight as I can hear him chuckle in my ear. He nods at a few more people, even someone named Dubois, another top projected pick. Ema's full-on teared as Auston walks up to the stage, shaking hands with all the important men on the stage.

"Best case scenario." Brian says to me, and I nod, agreeing.

Auston tries on the jersey, smiling with his new team. I nudge Ema, putting my arm around her, "He looks good in Leafs blue." I smile. She nods. "There can only be one number one, y'know. It's him."

"Natalie..." she laughs. "Too much for one night." she says, wiping away tears.

There's a chorus of applause and boos, Toronto fans happy, and Buffalo fans upset that they didn't get Auston, which was obviously fair. We watched as they led Auston off the stage, and a few minutes later they led us out, too. An important-looking man brought my family and Auston's somewhere backstage.

We were led to a little area, and when I walked through I saw Auston wearing Leafs gear, being taken pictures of.

Ema immediately went over to hug him again, then the photographer insisted we all take pictures together. Auston took a few with his parents, his family, and my family.

I went over to hug him again, then the photographer insisted I take a picture with Auston, too.

"Aren't you two adorable?" I hear a new voice say, and when I back up I recognize the person who spoke. It was Auston's old friend Matthew, wearing a Calgary Flames jersey.

Auston smiles when he sees Matthew. "I thought you were going seventh, maybe eighth. First doesn't seem too bad." Matthew jokes, giving Auston a half-hug. I can hear the shuttering of the camera as the man takes pictures of the two old friends.

"I thought you wouldn't get drafted at all, but here you are." Auston chuckles. "Oh, yeah. You remember Natalie?" he asks, and Matthew gives me a little wave. He was Auston's friend through hockey, they used to play together years ago.

"Toronto's pretty lucky." Matthew smiles. "Y'know I wish I came to Toronto. You, Mike Babcock, Mitch..."

"Mitch?" Auston wonders.

"Marner... you know him, right?" Auston nods thoughtfully. "He played with me in London. Kid's a real beauty." Matthew laughs. "Oh." Matthew says, seeming to only notice Auston's family now. "Hello Mr. and Mrs. Matthews."

"Nice to see you." Brian smiles at him.

"Mr. Tkachuk, I'd like to ask you to come with me." someone says, a man standing at the door in a grey suit.

"Mr. Tkachuk." Auston nudges Matthew.

"See ya later, Matthews." he says, walking off.

"Mr. Matthews and company." the photographer says, pointing towards the door. Another man was standing there, one who looked familiar, yet I couldn't place who. "Please follow this way." The rest of the night consisted of following important looking men, more pictures, and lots of conversations with professional hockey men.