Chapter 61: The Best Friend

A week of being with Kristen wasn't that easy for me. I hate seeing her cry; it shatters me. Although she doesn't talk about what she really feels, or the whole story about why did she and Calum just ended up like that, I completely understand what she's feeling inside. It wasn't that easy to bring back the smile that Calum had put up at her heart, but I still tried. I wanted to stay away, but I couldn't leave her just like that. If I can't stand seeing her hurt, I might just try to work things out and make her feel better, though I know I'm not the person who can bring her smile back.

"You seem to be thinking too much?" Ashton uttered with a chuckle, taking me back to my senses.

"Just tired." I stated and half smiled, not even bothered to look at the two bastards.

We are at our mini studio that we had put up days ago at one of the vacant rooms in my house. We moved Ashton's drum set here, and placed all the things we need for the practice and song writing, including the cork board that we filled with our photos. I lay lazily at the couch as I stare at nothing in particular outside the window. I couldn't stop thinking about Kristen, how she's doing, and what she's up to. I know I can always check up on her later, but for now, for today, it felt kind of different. I am somehow a little bit worried.

"How's Kristen, by the way?" Ashton started asking again. "I haven't seen her nor heard anything about her for a long time. What happened?"

I sat up and flicked my hair to the side. I sighed at the thought of her. "She's okay." I stated, and probably hoping so.

"I miss having her around man," Ashton stated with a chuckle. "You know, she just kind of make everything better."

I looked at him and smiled. "Yeah."

"I've heard that Calum and her broke up. Is it true?" Luke asked as he sat down on floor, almost occupying most of it.

"I don't know," I admitted. I'm not really sure. "But uhm, I guess so."

"I was at Calum's yesterday, and I saw a ginger with him. Who's she?" Luke asked, and I felt my body tensed up a little. They know nothing about her.

"Madison." I paused. "Calum's uhm- first love."

I wasn't expecting for them to react in some kind of way like they we'll get affected, but they did. Their eyes both widened and they turned to look at each other.

"That explains a lot then." Ashton said flatly, shaking his head. "Calum's been a fat fuck these days. Now I know why."

We all remained silent right after Ashton stopped talking. I rested my head back at the couch, then closed my eyes. Luke decided to break the silence.

"Speaking of the fat fuck," He laughed at his own comment. "Guys, it's his 18th birthday today."

Ashton clapped his hands and started laughing. "The fat fuck's legal today!"

These boys are weird.

"So yeah, I was there yesterday and he told me he'll have a house party, of course." Luke informed us, giving me and Ashton confused looks stuck on our faces.

"Calum never threw a house party before." I admitted.

"The fat fuck's probably taking advantage of being legal." Ashton said, laughing again. "What time we'll go then?"

"Maybe around 6." Luke stated. "Mike, you on?"

I shot him a glare. "Of course you stupid dick." I rolled my eyes and laughed. "I'll just go to Kristen's then I'll head off there."

"Why don't you take her with you?" Ashton suggested with a smile. I looked at him with a "are you stupid" look but his smile faded and gave me the same look. "Dude, I'm serious." He stated.

"Are you stupid?" I retorted. "It's Calum's birthday, not yours. He'll be there and Madison's gonna b-"

"And so?" He cut me off and beamed a smile. "I don't give a shit about Calum. Let's just, you know, lighten things up for her and let her have some fun. It might be Calum's party but we'll be here for Kristen. I'm just really worried about her man. She needs to get out a bit."

"And it's kind of missing having her around." Luke added.

Their thoughts suddenly got me thinking. I know at the first place it would be really stupid to invite her at her ex boyfriend's birthday party. But then, these two shit heads got a point, though we're not completely sure if it would turn out like what we're thinking. Kristen needs to get out, Kristen needs to have fun. Even though I don't want her to go, the decision is still up to her.

I sighed. "I'll try and ask her." I stated, they smiled.

"But if she doesn't want to, don't force her man." Ashton uttered. "I totally understand if she doesn't want to see our idiot friend."

I smiled at his statement. Kristen's lucky enough to have us his friends.

*

I stood up and waited for a moment at her doorstep before knocking while carrying two boxes of pizza. I know how much she likes them, and I know how much it makes her happy. Maybe by this, I could get her to say yes to our offer. But if not, it's okay. At least she's still happy.

After my fifth knock, the door opened, revealing a smiling Kristen, looking different from how she looked like a week ago. She looks better now.

"Hey," She half smiled. "Come on in."

"How's your arm?" I asked.

"Getting better." She replied. I hope so.

I placed the pizza on the table as she started looking for another movie for us to watch. This has been out thing for the past few days. I would come over to check on her, then we'll watch a movie while we eat, and let her sleep before I leave. But right now, it might not be like that. I'm just letting the usual things flow as I get the perfect timing to ask her. The movie then started playing as we both grabbed a piece of pizza. The movie started with teens partying at a house. I suddenly found myself smiling. This is the perfect time to ask.

"Parties." I started speaking.

"You don't like parties?" She asked, somehow hearing a tone of disappointment on her statement. This must be good.

"I like parties," I lied, I'm not really into parties. I smiled, still looking at the TV. "I'm actually going to one later tonight."

I'm not really sure if I'm doing it correctly but I hope it all works out.

"Oh. Yeah." She retorted then looked down the ground. I guess she knew what party I was talking about. How could she not know it?

"And uhm-" I bit my lip and swallowed hard. "I was just maybe wondering if uhm, you know. You would want to come?"

Her eyes widened a bit. I don't know if I'm saying the right thing.

"Oh uhm-" She paused. "Michael I uhm-"

"No, it's fine." I cut her off and smiled. "We completely understand if you don't want to come. It's okay."

"We?" She looked at me, confused.

"Ah, yeah." I chuckled lightly. "Luke and Ashton asked me if I can bring you tonight. They said they miss having you around, and uhm, yeah, they miss you so much. I agree."

She just looked down at nothing in particular. I can't seem to know what's she's thinking. I know this wouldn't turn like how we wanted, but I'm still hoping she would come.

"I completely understand if you don't want to." I uttered and smiled. "Let's just finish thi-"

"No," She cut me off.

I looked at her and furrowed my eyebrows. I got confused. Her lips then curled up into a smile. The smile that I haven't seen for along time.

"I'll come."