Chapter 48: Her

I realized that I've been rummaging for something to wear for two hours when I checked the time on my phone. It's half past five, and by seven I need to be at Calum's house. It's Christmas eve today, and since I have no one to spend Christmas eve with, I agreed with Calum's offer a week ago. Tonight I'll have dinner with his whole family. I've met his mother, but I still feel like I need to impress them in some ways. Tonight's going to be the first time I'll meet his father and sister, and I hope I won't be awkward or stupid. I admit I'm nervous and scared for some reasons, and I couldn't seem to get rid of it. What if they don't like me? I may not be the kind of girl they expect for their son or brother to bring at a dinner. I always say I just have to be myself, but what if they don't like the real me? In my whole life, I never pretended to be someone I'm not just to be accepted, though no one even accepted me in there precious little world. Oh wait. I once pretended. Let me take that back.

After having a one minute break, I pulled my hair up in a bun again and started rummaging to my pile of clothes again. What does a girl wear at a Christmas dinner? It has to be something formal. A dress? I don't own any dress anymore. I wanted to call Stella for help, but she's out of town for days and now I'm left with no one. My room's in a mess already, with my band shirts and sweaters and pants scattered everywhere. I flopped down on my bed and buried my face on my pillow. I'm so done with this. Why the hell does it have to be so hard picking an outfit? And why am I not owning any formal clothes?

After another hour of searching, I find myself standing in front of my mirror, all set and ready. I wore my cream-colored knitted sweater that I paired with a black skinny jeans, and my new pair of all black Vans. Yes, I bought myself a new pair of shoes. I applied my usual make up, with my hair up like the way Stella did. I forgot what it's called but I remembered how to do it. I stared at my own reflection with a blank emotion. I'm not quite sure if I look nice, but I'm pretty sure I'm comfortable. The other side of me keeps wishing for the dinner to be cancelled. I was never good with people, and I'm still afraid. I might mess up things, or say words that I shouldn't. But my heart wants to come. I always feel like spending every time with Calum, and with the thought of spending Christmas eve with him makes it a lot more perfect. I want to meet his family. And plus, I don't want to get stuck here celebrating on my own. This is probably the first time in a long time that I'll be spending my Christmas with someone. I don't want to waste the chance. I know for sure, I'll be happy because of this.

I checked the time on my phone, informing me that it's 7:12 PM. I've been standing at Calum's doorstep for ten minutes, trying to figure out if I should come in or not. I've been deciding if I should knock or text him, but I'm not choosing anything at my choices. It struck 7:15, and I realize that I should come in, ready or not. If I want to maintain a good impression, I can't be late. This isn't usual for me, but yes, I can't be late. Even though I already am.

I knocked three times and within a minute, a girl that I suppose, is Calum's sister, opened the door and greeted me with a smile. She's wearing a red dress that fitted her perfectly, with her black curly hair down. She's towering over me, because she's wearing black pumps that looked nice on her feet. I wonder how it feels. Does her feet hurt? Does it feel good? She doesn't look hurt or uncomfortable. She looked completely stunning. I admire her.

She gestured me to come in and I did. I followed her as she took my wrist and lead the way. I don't quite understand, but I don't feel uncomfortable or anything. And it feels nice.

"You must be... Kristen?" She asked with a smile.

"Yes well uhm- I'm- I'm her. I'm Kristen. Nice to meet you." I stuttered but I managed to smile, reaching out a hand for her to shake.

"I'm Mali, Cal's sister. It's nice to meet you too!" She took my hand and shook it, then pulled me into a hug, making me smile.

"You're pretty, I know my brother never lies." She stated and I just smiled. "But I need you to come with me."