Chapter 3: Him

It's been a week since that incident and I haven't even seen her yet. As far as I can remember, we both have the same last period and it's PE. I don't even understand, but I always find myself not wanting to admit that I'm waiting for her to show right up. My usual stays in the hallways in the morning before classes suddenly had some reasons and I didn't want to admit that, especially to myself. What is with her to make me want to see her again? Do I want to apologize to her? No. Do I want to know her name? No.

You like her eyes, and you want to kiss the shit out of her. 

Fucking hell, no.

I've seen her before. We've been going to the same school since freshman but I couldn't remember if I had any conversations with her. She doesn't really talk to anyone. She has always been quiet, like she never cares about anything or anyone around her. She's always busy listening to music, obviously not wanting to talk to anyone. Maybe this is why I couldn't remember her name. Or maybe I don't even know it yet. Why am I so curious, anyway? There are a lot of things I should be thinking about. Like what's the next song we should practice, or should I get my own bass guitar, some stuff like that. You're too much for her.  It was kind of cocky but it was kind of true, I guess.

"You okay?" Luke asked while tying his shoe laces, with me beside him staring at nothing like an idiot.

"Oh. Uhm, yeah. Just thinking." I say as I put my shirt on.

"You've been acting weird these past few days, man."

"I was?" I asked.

"You've been like, zoned out and all. You're not even talking too much." Luke is always like this. He could really be an asshole all the time but when it comes to stuff like this, he comes off as a really good person. The kind that didn't want to be so obvious that they want to check on you but it in reality, it way more than obvious.

"I'm alright, mum." I replied with a laugh.

"Are you possessed?" Luke whispered, trying to sound funny. He failed.

"No. It's just... I haven't pooped for days." I answered. 

Luke grinned, walking closer just to shove me. "Fuck you."

"I love you too, man."

Luke threw one of the smelly towels he got and laughed at me. It wasn't even funny, but I laughed anyway.

"Hurry up, you dumb shit. PE starts at 5." Luke shouted as he exited the room.

I can never end a serious conversation with anyone.

*

"Well that was tiring!" Michael shouted.

"You didn't even move." Ashton commented. Michael rolled his eyes and Luke laughed on how Michael just acted all sassy on him. I just looked at them.

"Do we have any practice today?" Michael asked as he put on his jeans.

And before any of the two could reply, I started speaking.

"No, we don't."

"What?" Ashton asked seriously though he didn't sound that serious at all. It made me want to laugh a little. "We gotta learn a new song. We're a month away from the battle of the bands." He pointed out. 

Shit. I wanted to punch myself for not remembering that part. 

"I've got something to do tonight guys, I'm sorry. You guys can still go without me though. I'm pretty sure I can catch up." I replied while tying my shoe, not looking at them.

This is very unusual.

We talk in a very weird and serious way and they all look surprised. Maybe because I never say no whenever we have a practice, and I'm usually the one who always sets them.  Luke stood up and walked closer to me.

"Well then, maybe we should all just take a break today. My limbs feel like they're gonna fall off of me." Luke reasoned out, somehow sounding like a relief to me. I wasn't really in the mood to practice. "What'd you guys think?"

"I'm in." Michael answered.

"But guys-"And before Ashton could finish about the battle of the bands being a month away, Luke cut him off.

"I'm pretty sure we can all catch up. I'm working on a kick-ass song, don't worry. We're gonna be punk-ass rockers."

"Fuck yes." I chuckled at Michael's comment. It even brought back the smile on Ashton's face.

"Alright then, well, let's get going. Pizza?" Ashton said as we started walking out of the gym, heading out of the school.

I followed behind them carrying my bag while looking for some good music to listen to. When Michael and Ashton got into his car, Luke came up to me.

"Hey man, if anything's wrong, you can always ring me, yeah?" He whispered.

"I'm okay." I laughed lightly. "I really just got plans and things to do tonight."

"Cut the shit out, Calum. I know you. Feel better." I just rolled my eyes at him, but I know he really did care. He knows me too well.

I just wanted some time alone.