Chapter 49 "Newspaper & Five Gallon Buckets"

While my son and husband were busy, I was able to get a chapter done.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Severide arrives at the building the fire was at. He walks up to Boden to let him know he's back.
"Is everyone at Med okay?" Boden asks.
"Yes, but there were some civilian casualties" Severide tells him.
"Shaylynn's alright, isn't she?" Boden asks.
"Yes. She killed the gunmen. I'm don't know if she knows, but those men were looking for her. When everything dies down, whether she knows she's going to take it hard with those people being killed" Severide tells Boden, "Now there's active shooters at the FBI office. Shaylynn went there with Butch and the other guys. Hard part for Shaylynn is, she can't just rush in there and get Sam. Being with the Organization, they can't rush in unless they're going in for someone who works for the FBI. With the FBI being a Government agency, her hands are tied unless Sam requests them or things have gotten so bad SWAT can't get it under the control. I was told I wasn't allowed to go with them" Severide smiles, "So here I am."
"I'm happy Shaylynn's alright! And glad you're back because we can use the help. We broke out all the windows and finally got all the smoke cleared out. The stairs to the second level are being tested to see if we can safely get up there to search. Right now we've ran into a lot of beds and couches on the ground level. That's what was burning and causing all the problems trying to get out. Also A LOT of five gallon buckets were found throughout the ground floor filled with human waste. Whoever was keeping these women here apparently felt they didn't deserve working plumbing" Boden tells Severide.
Boden hands Severide a flashlight.
Severide heads inside while Boden walks away to talk to another Chief.
As Severide walks in, the smell is overwhelming.
The smell of human waste is to much, he walks out and heads over to Squad to get his mask and tank.
He walks back over to the building, puts his mask and tank on and heads back inside.
Looking around it's strange how the furniture is placed. It's all placed like someone was creating a maze. Someone was planning on starting this fire way in advance.
Severide walks around looking at each bed and couch, at least what's left of them. He notices there's a lot of ash under the beds and couches. When he crouches down to look at the ash better, he notices a line on the floor leading to under the bed. Severide stands up and follows the line, it leads back to the door. He walks toward a couch looking down at the floor noticing there is also a line leading to it and a lot of ash. Severide does this over and over again with each bed and couch. All of them have a lot of ash under them along with a line leading back to the door.
Severide heads back outside, he looks around for Boden who's standing over by his vehicle talking to the Fire Commissioner.
He takes his mask off as he walks over to Boden, "Did you find anything?" Boden asks him.
"Yes. There's a lot of ash under what's left of the furniture. While I was looking at the ash I noticed a line. I followed it and it lead back to the door. For each piece of furniture, there's a char line that leads back to the door. Someone had been planning on setting this fire way in advance, arranging the furniture like a maze not wanting those women to get out. I bet anything the ash is newspaper with an accelerant on it. Then taking the accelerant and making trails on the floor over to the door. That way they could hurry and light it all at once" Severide tells Boden, "Any idea who the building belongs too?"
"The Intelligence Unit was suppose to be looking into it, but they have bigger things going on right now, so Sergeant Voight has a Platt looking into for us" the Fire Commissioner tells Severide. "Also, would you please express my gratitude to your wife for what she did at Med. My wife had surgery yesterday and was on the phone with me the entire time when everything was happening. I felt so helpless knowing I couldn't get in there and protect my wife, then she saw your wife take out one of the gunman, so she knew someone was in there to help them which really calmed her down."
"As soon as I see her I'll tell her" Severide tells the Commissioner.
"I think we've done enough here and can head back to the Firehouse" Boden tells Severide.
Boden radios out to all of 51 that it's time to head back.

Back at the FBI office, Shaylynn is still standing outside of the truck, watching what is going on through binoculars.
Butch walks out of the truck, "You might as well put those away. Sam's not going to request us" he tells her.
Shaylynn puts down the binoculars and gives him a look.
"It's true!" he says to her.
BANG!
A shot rings out and a window in the FBI building is shattered.
BANG! BANG! BANG!
Three more shots ring out.
"Those were from out here!" Shaylynn says pulling out her gun.
Dave, Rob and Dan come running out of the truck with their guns drawn.
"Start searching around!" Shaylynn tells them.
"Shaylynn...." Butch says to her.
"Sam has NO authority out here!" she tells him as she takes off running with her sniper rifle, "I'm heading high! Those shots had to come from a rooftop! I'll be damned if a sniper takes out my sister!"