Chapter 65 "Long and Hard"

"Did you just day divorce papers?" Tony asks.
"Yes!" Severide tells him, "Squad load up! We're taking a ride!"
All of them head to the truck and load up.
"Where we going?" Tony asks Severide as he starts up the truck.
"To Butch's townhouse. They've been spending a lot of time there!" Severide tells Tony.
Tony pulls out of the stall, pulls out onto the street and starts heading toward Butch's place.
"It seems weird sitting back here!" Cruz says.
"If you wouldn't have hooked up with the Fire Commissioner's daughter, then maybe you would still be driving!" Capp tells Cruz.
Cruz gives Capp a look.

Pulling up outside of Butch's townhouse, Severide jumps down out of the truck.

He walks up and knocks on the door, Shaylynn answers.
"Kelly!" she says surprised.
"What are you doing, Shaylynn?! Divorce papers? I thought things were going great!" he says to her.
"Well you're wrong! Things aren't going great! That's what the divorce papers are for! You need to leave!" she tells him.
Severide looks at her, "Shaylynn, I love you!" he tells her.
"But I don't love you! Now, leave!" she tells him slamming the door shut.
Severide can't believe what just happened. Cruz is watching everything and can't believe what he just witnessed.

Severide turns around and starts walking toward the truck, gets in and Tony pulls away

Inside Butch's townhouse, Shaylynn has her back up against the door. She can't catch her breath. Sliding down the door, she plops down onto floor and starts hyperventilating.
The guys hear her and come running.
Rob is the first to reach her, "Shaylynn, what's wrong?" he asks crouching down beside her.
"Kelly showed up" she says quickly, "I told him I didn't love him!" she tells him and starts crying heavily.
"It's for the best!" Butch tells her.
"Shut the fuck up, Butch! You have no idea what it's like to be in love!" Rob tells him, "Maybe if you had been married at some point in time and lost your wife, you would understand!"
"Shaylynn, look at me" Rob tells her putting his hands on each side of her face, "Do you love Kelly?"
"YES, I love him with all my heart, but I need to protect him! I can't see him hurt anymore because of me! I love him more then he will ever know! That's why I have to let him go!" she tells Rob, "It's like having another husband die!" she says crying even more.
Dave is standing back behind Butch and Dan with tears in his eyes and his hands in his pockets. He walks away from the group and pulls out his phone, "We have a situation!" he says to someone.
Rob puts his arms around Shaylynn and helps her up. He then helps her upstairs to the extra bedroom, helps her lay down on the bed, covers her up and walks out of the room closing the door behind him.
He walks back downstairs and right up to Butch, looking him right in the eyes.
"Before you say anything else to Shaylynn about Kelly, think LONG and HARD about what it is! If you upset her, I have no problem kicking your ass!" Rob tells him.
Butch gives Rob a little smirk and walks around him.
A couple of minutes later, there's a knock at the door. Rob walks to the door and opens it.
"Where's my daughter?!" Hank asks as he walks in.
Rob looks surprised, "She's upstairs in the extra bedroom" he tells Hank.
Hank takes off up the stairs. Rob looks behind him at Dave and Dan, Dave nods to him then walks to the kitchen.
Hank reaches the extra bedroom, opens the door, walks in and right over to the bed.
"Shaylynn...." Hank says as he sits down on the side of the bed.
She sits up and wraps her arms around his neck, "Dad, I did the most horrible thing!" she tells him between sobs.
"Dave told me, so you don't have too!" Hank tells her.
Shaylynn starts crying uncontrollably again.
She let's go of Hank and sits back, "I can't believe I told the man I LOVE that I didn't love him anymore! It was like another husband dying, but this time in front of me!" she looks him right in the eyes, "Please shoot me! I can't take this pain!"
Hank looks at her, "Where's Leslie and Taylor?"
"They're with Marshall's parents. All of them are out East going around to historical sites in different states. Savannah is learning about them and you know with her it's better for her to see it to comprehend what it is then to just read about it" she tells him, "Dad, if you don't mind I would like to get some sleep, I'm pretty tired."
"Alright" Hank tells her while he stands up. He covers her up some more and kisses her on top of the head.
Hank walks over to the door, walks out and closes the door. He heads downstairs and finds the guys in the kitchen. "Every one of you make sure to keep a close eye on her!" Hank demands.
"Yes, Sir!" they all say in unison.
"I have to be getting back to the District. If anything happens to her, you four are the first I'll be coming for!" Hank tells them as he walks to the front door and walks out.

It's a little later and shift is over.
Severide is beside himself and doesn't know what to do or where to go. He doesn't want to go home! Home is where all the memories of him and Shaylynn are.
He finds himself standing outside of Stone's townhouse.
Right when he's about ready to walk up the steps, the door opens. Stone walks out carrying Aimee-Leigh with Sam behind him.
Tears start filling his eyes remembering that use to be him and Shaylynn with Leslie and Taylor as baby's.
Stone looks at the bottom of the steps, "Sam" he says over his shoulder.
Sam looks at Stone, he then looks back down the steps. Sam looks around him to see Severide standing there with a very depressed look on his face.
Stone walks down the steps with Sam close behind him.
They reach the bottom. Stone looks at Sam, "I'm going to go and put Aimee-Leigh in the car." He kisses her and walks away.
"Kelly what is it?" Sam asks Severide.
"Shaylynn had me served with divorce papers!" he tells her with tears starting to stream down his face.
Sam is in shock and doesn't know what to say. She pulls Severide to her and hugs him.
He starts crying on her shoulder.

On a side street sits a limo

On a side street sits a limo. From inside, the occupants watch Severide and Sam.
"She's divorcing him!" Mike Charles says into his phone, "The most satisfy part is seeing him so upset because you know she's dying inside!" Charles says with a laugh.
He pauses listening to the person on the other end.
"I'll make sure things proceed as planned!" Charles says and hangs up.
Hicks was able to catch a glimpse of the caller id on Charles' phone. Why would anyone in Washington D.C. care about what's going on in Chicago.
"Mr. Smith, you can proceed as planned with your shipments! I don't see Shaylynn being a problem any more!" Charles tells him.
"Is he going to make things easier for us?" Mr. Smith asks Charles.
Charles gives Mr. Smith a pissed off look as he nods toward Hicks.
"He has no idea who "he" is!" Mr. Smith tells Charles.
"Nevertheless, we don't talk about "him"!" Charles tells Mr. Smith, "But, he wants Shaylynn taken out of the picture once and for all! It's time to go straight after her!"

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*