Chapter 64 "Need A Lift?"

"Truck 81, Squad 3, elevator emergency, Chicago Med" comes over Squads radios.
All the guys look at each other, "Main, Squad 3 is already here!" Capp radios back.
"We'll be back!" Capp tells Severide as they run out of his room.
They stop at the nurses station, "Can you call Maintenance, so we can figure out where this elevator is stuck" Capp asks the nurse.
The nurse calls and hands the phone over to Capp. After 20 seconds he hangs up.
"The elevator is stuck between the sixth floor and this floor" he tells Cruz and Tony.
"Truck 81, elevator is stuck between the sixth and third floor" Capp radios to them.
Capp turns back to the nurse, "Is there a maintenance closet on this floor?"
"Yes, straight down the hallway. Last door on your right" she tells him.
Tony starts running down the hallway. He comes to the door, opens it and walks in.
As he's looking around, he spots a crowbar, grabs it and starts running back.
"I found a crowbar!" he tells Capp.
Capp looks at him funny, "A crowbar was in the maintenance closet?"
"There are a lot of people who've locked themselves in the bathrooms and a crowbar has been the only way to get them out" the nurse tells Capp.
"Why not use a key?" Cruz questions.
"A key doesn't work when they take a chair into the bathroom with them and stick it under the door handle" the nurse tells Cruz.
"Alright, let's get over to the doors and pry them open!" Capp tells Tony and Cruz.
They run to the elevator, stick the crowbar in between the doors and start forcing them open.
Once they have the doors open, Capp looks up, "The elevator is stuck between the fourth and fifth floor" he tells Cruz and Tony.
Tony and Cruz take off toward the stairs and start making their way up to the fifth floor.
"Hello to the ones in the elevator! Can you hear me?" Capp yells to them.
"CAPP!" Shaylynn yells out.
Capps eyes get big, "Cruz! Tony! Shaylynn's in the elevator!" he radios out.
He turns around and comes face to face with Severide, "You need to go back to bed!" Capp tells him.
"Like hell I am when my wife is stuck in a elevator!" Severide tells him.
"You can't do anything!" Capp reminds him, "If you do something and injure yourself again, that woman will put a cap in my ass like she did that woman at the river! Now sit down and let us handle this!"
Capp walks back over to the elevator shaft, "Shaylynn, we're working on getting you out! Are you the only one in the elevator?"
"NO! Connor's in here!" she yells back to Capp.
He turns around and looks at Severide, he heard and gives Capp a look.
"Hey Capp, the cable to the elevator has a few sections that are broke!" Cruz radios to him, "Another one just broke! They just keep breaking!"
All of Truck shows up on the third floor and sees Capp and Severide. They say hi to Severide, then Casey talks to Capp.
Capp sees Herrmann has a rope over his shoulders, "We need to get up to the fifth floor!" Capp says.
He and Truck rush up to the fifth floor.
"What's the plan?" Cruz asks Capp.
Capp looks at Casey, "This is all your's!" he tells Capp.
"With the cable breaking it's not going to be handle anymore weight. With Shaylynn's background she should be able to get the rope secure enough around herself and Dr. Rhodes so we can pull them out" Capp says.
"Alright" Casey says.
Capp walks over to the elevator shaft, "Shaylynn! We're lowering a rope. Tie it around Dr. Rhodes and yourself so we can pull you two up!"
An end of a rope drops through the hatch on top of the elevator Shaylynn was able to open with Dr. Rhodes giving her a hand.
"Come here!" she tells Dr. Rhodes.
He walks over to her, she ties the rope around him, "What are you doing?" he asks her.
"We both can't fit through that hatch at the same time! Give me a boost, I'll stand on top of the elevator while they pull you out" she tells him.
Dr. Rhodes crotches down and cups his hands together. Shaylynn sticks one of her feet in his hands. He then stands up, pushing her up to the roof of the elevator. She grabs onto the sides of the hatch and pulls herself up through and moves over to a side.
"Okay, everything is ready!" Shaylynn yells to Capp.
Capp looks back and sees Cruz and Tony have the other end of the rope tied around both of them with Truck holding onto the rest of the rope.
"Alright everyone, pull!" Capp instructs them.
They all start pulling, "Seems pretty light to be two people!" Casey tells Capp.
As Dr. Rhodes is pulled through the hatch of the elevator, the rest of the cable starts breaking. Truck and Squad can hear it, "PULL!" Casey shouts out.
All of them give a few quick pulls and see Dr. Rhodes appear. The rest of the cable breaks sending the elevator falling.
"SHAYLYNN!" Casey yells as he rushes over to the elevator shaft to look in, Capp grabbing onto him.
"I'm here!" Casey hears her say.
He lays down on the floor and looks down into the shaft. Casey sees Shaylynn holding onto a ladder that's on the side.
"Did someone bring up a harness?" Casey asks.
"Yes" Mouch speaks up. He walks over and picks it up off the floor.
"I'm going down and getting her!" Casey tells Capp as he takes the harness from Mouch and puts it on.
While Casey is putting on the harness, everyone can hear the elevators emergency brakes stop it before it falls into the basement.
Casey sits on the edge and is lowered over into the elevator shaft. Everyone is holding onto the rope and lowers him down.
"Stop!" Casey yells up.
He looks at Shaylynn, "Do you need a lift?" and smiles.
She looks at him, "If you're referring to the elevator, no I don't want anything to do with it! If the lift is provided by you, then I'll take it!" she tells him and smiles.
Casey laughs, "Okay, give me one of your hands!"
Shaylynn gives him one of her hands. He sticks it on one of his shoulders while he grabs onto her so she can put her other hand on his other shoulder.
Once Shaylynn has both hands on Casey's shoulders, she puts them behind his neck and intertwines her fingers, while he puts his arms around her waist.
"Alright, I have her!" Casey yells up.
Everyone starts pulling them up. Once at the top, Capp and Cruz grab onto Shaylynn and pull her up, then help Casey up.
Shaylynn sees Severide standing toward the back leaning on Otis. She walks back to him.
He let's go of Otis, grabs her and brings her into an embrace. When he presses her up against his chest, he flinches.
"Kelly!" Shaylynn says.
"I don't care!" he tells her.
"But I do! I'm tired of you getting hurt because of me! Just like you should be in bed!" she looks around, "Where's your IV?" she asks him.
"I took it out so I could come up here. I wasn't going to walk up the stairs carrying it" he tells her.
Shaylynn grabs onto him and starts leading him over to the stairs, "You're going back down, getting back in bed and having your IV put back in!" she turns back around and looks at Truck and Squad, "Thank you, everyone!"
She helps Severide down the stairs and back to his room.

A few months go by.
Severide was released and has been healing well and is back to full duty.
Sam was released and then baby Aimee-Leigh was released with flying colors.
Shaylynn along with the guys have been working hard to find Hicks and Mr. Smith. Unfortunately, Mike Charles was let off with just a fine and continues to be Governor.
As for the elevator company that was suppose to be maintaining the elevators, they weren't. They were filling out paperwork for safety checks that weren't being performed. Ms. Goodwin is now in the process of suing them.

All of Engine and Truck are sitting around in the Common area either talking or watching TV when a young attractive woman walks in.
"Hello" the woman says.
Otis turns around and springs up, "Can I help you?" he asks her.
"I'm looking for Kelly Severide" she tells him.
Otis makes a face, "Of course you are, he's out in the stalls" he tells her pointing toward the doors.
"Thank you!" the woman tells Otis and starts walking toward the stalls.
She walks through the doors and sees a few guys standing and a few sitting at a table.
The guys see her walking toward them, "Can I help you?" Cruz asks her with a huge smile on his face.
"I'm looking for Kelly Severide" she tells him.
Cruz turns around and looks at Severide, "I'm Kelly Severide" he tells her.
She walks over to him with her hand stretched out. He puts out his hand to shake hers.
Instead of putting her hand into his, she puts an envelope in his hand, "You've been served!" she tells him and starts walking toward the door.
All the Squad guys are in shock!
"Are you being sued?" Capp asks Severide as he opens the envelope.
Severide reads the first page, "You've got to be fucking kidding me!" he shouts out.
"What is it?" Cruz asks.
"Divorce papers!" Severide tells him with a pissed off look on his face.