Chapter 48 "Barricade The Doors"

While making her way down the stairs, Shaylynn comes across one of Meds security guards. She checks for a pulse, there's none.
Shaylynn takes his radio. She's hoping by now CPD is outside and radios out.

Hank and Severide arrive at Med. Police cruisers are surrounding the hospital, along with SWAT.
Looking around, Hank sees the SWAT leader and walks up to him with Severide following him.
The SWAT leader looks and sees Hank walking toward him.
"Hank" the SWAT leader says.
"Tom, what do you know?" Hank asks him.
"What we can gather from some people who were able to get out, there's six gunmen. We have no idea where they're located within the hospital" he tells Hank.
"Any idea if there's a motive?" Hank asks.
"One lady said one of the gunmen asked a nurse where Severide's room is" Tom tells him.
Hank looks at Severide, Tom sees the look, "Is there something I should know?" he asks Hank.
"That's my daughter they're looking for!" Hank says.
"You're daughter's in there?" Tom questions him.
"Yes, she was admitted last night" Hank tells him.
"Hank, the note that was found at the fire, do you think this has something to do with it?" Severide asks.

Shaylynn comes over Tom's radio....

Shaylynn......."This is Shaylynn Severide.....I'm in the hospital..... inside the stairwell working my way down"

Tom......"Shaylynn, this is Tom I'm the SWAT leader.....Do you know how many gunmen there are?"

Shaylynn......"Negative...I do not know the actual total but was told six....Three gunmen are dead"

Tom......."How were they killed?"

Shaylynn........"I killed them!"

Tom looks at Hank, "She was in the Special Forces" Hank tells Tom.

Shaylynn......"I'm moving and going radio silence"

Tom looks at Hank, "Give her some time! If anyone can find out how many gunmen are in there, it's her!" Hank tells him.
"If I hear one more gun shot, we're storming in!" Tom tells Hank as the rest of the Intelligence Unit comes walking up to them.
Tom radios out to his teams, "If we have to storm in and anyone encounters a woman with a gun, have her state her name!  If she answers Shaylynn Severide, stand down!"

Shaylynn comes to the third floor, pokes her head out and hears crying. That's when she realizes there's a gunman in the Children's wing. She leaves the radio in the stairwell and walks out into the hallway.
Needing to get the guy away from the kids, she sees a table with a vase that has flowers in it.
She picks up the vase and turns a corner. Once around the corner, she throws the vase down to the opposite end of the hallway. It shatters into a million pieces causing a big crash.
The guy comes running out of the Children's wing, running right past Shaylynn. She hurries out from around the corner, grabs the guys hair pulling his head back and cuts his throat. He falls to the floor, she grabs onto his legs and pulls him into another hallway so the kids can't see his body.
She picks up his gun and heads down the hall. The nurses in the Children's wing come out when they see Shaylynn.
"Get as many as you can in two rooms! Then barricade  the doors!" she tells the nurses while handing the gun she already had on her to one nurse and the guys gun to the other nurse, "Use these if you need to!" the nurses give her a look, "Remember, it's you or them....It's ALWAYS YOU!"
"Aren't you going to need a gun?" one of the nurses asks her.
"No, I have this" Shaylynn tells her and holds up the scalpel, then starts walking back toward the stairwell.
When she comes to the second floor, she walks out and searches the entire floor, no gunmen. She goes back to the stairwell and heads down to the ground floor.
Shaylynn looks out and sees there's a guy standing down by the ED.
Why is it always the ED.....she thinks to herself.
She can hear that he's talking to another guy and looking straight ahead meaning the other guy is down by the ED doors.
Shaylynn tries to hide the scalpel as much as she can, with the blade end in her hand. She quietly walks out into the hallway, puts her back up against the wall and hangs her head.
Within five minutes the guy sees her and starts walking down the hallway in her direction.
He stops in front of her, "Where did you come from?" he asks.
Shaylynn doesn't answer.
"I'm talking to you! Where did you come from?" he asks again.
In one quick movement, Shaylynn stabs him in the neck then cuts his throat. She pushes him over so he hits the floor. Bending over, she grabs his gun and starts walking toward the ED.
Shaylynn walks around the corner with the gun at her side. She sees that everyone has been gathered up and put in the center.
The guy by the ED doors looks and sees her, "You, nurse what are you doing? Get back in there and sit down!" he yells at her.
Shaylynn raises her gun, fires, shooting the gunman in the head.

"WE'RE GOING IN! GO! GO! GO!" Tom yells and radios out to his SWAT teams.
Hank and Severide look at each other while SWAT storms toward the ED doors.

SWAT storms into the ED and sees Shaylynn with a gun. She lays it down and sticks her hands in the air.
They cautiously approach her, "State your name!" one of the guys tells her.
"Shaylynn Severide" she tells the guy, "All gunmen have been killed."
"Go do a sweep!" the guy tells his team, "Would you get these people outside for me?" the SWAT guy asks Shaylynn.
"Sure!" she tells the guy.
"Alright everyone, let's get out of here!" Shaylynn tells them.
Everyone outside sees that people start running out of the ED. SWAT runs up to them to help get them away from the hospital.
Shaylynn comes walking out with blood on her.
Severide goes running up to her, "Are you alright?" he asks her.
"Yes, I'm fine! This isn't my blood" she tells him as they walk over to where Hank and the rest of the Intelligence Unit is.
"The hospital is secure! All gunmen are down!" is radioed out to Tom.
He looks at Hank, then looks at Shaylynn. As he walks away, he's shaking his head.
"You better show her the paper!" Severide tells Hank.
"Paper?" Shaylynn asks.
"A piece of paper was found at the fire with a message on it" Hank tells her and hands it over to her.
She reads it out loud...."Shaylynn my pretty! I'm going to get you and your little sister too! What the hell?!" she looks at Hank and Severide, "You're thinking what happened here has something to do with this message don't you?"
"That's what we're thinking" Severide tells her.
"This message didn't just mention me, it also mentioned Sam. Has anyone checked in with her?" Shaylynn asks.