Gray X Reader (Fairy Tail)

"You're an idiot" Gray's voice rang out harshly as he sat beside your bed. You sighed, hunching over ever so slightly before flinching in pain.

"I know" you managed to say before you felt Gray's harsh voice cut through your pain.

"I can't believe you did that" he sighed, leaning back in his chair. You leaned further into your pillow, hoping it would swallow you whole just so you could have some time to yourself.

"I'm sorry" you said as you looked away. He had been by your side since you got here. At least, that's what Lucy told you. He had refused to leave, even going as far as to  fight with the staff at the hospital you were in. You were finally moved to a personal room where Gray was able to stay as long as he liked, as long as he wouldn't disturb your rest.

"I can't believe you-"

"I mean- I could be worse. The other guy wasn't as lucky" you attempted to raise your hands in defence but with the slightest movement of your right wrist a pain shot through your arm. You gasped in shock at the sudden shock of pain. Gray stood up, reaching to grab you. He froze, fearing he would hurt you even more than you already were.

"Lay down- lay down" he said as he rested his hands gently on your shoulder, an action that was so unlike him. You agreed and slowly moved so you could lay down. He still lingered over you, even after you had finally gotten comfortable. His hands seemed to twitch with the need to touch you. You reached over and took his hand into your own.

"I'm alive-"

"Barely" he hissed out as he sat down, huffing. His hand gently gripped your own. He dared no let go as he gently rubbed that back of your hand with his thumb. He looked down at your hand with a caring, loving look. "You should rest. I'll be here when you wake up." You nodded and closed your eyes, falling into a deep slumber.

You awoke to the feeling of someone fiddling with your bandages. You opened your eyes and stared at Gray who was slouched over, eyes focusing on the gauze that he was wrapping around your injured leg.

"Shouldn't the doctor be doing that?" He asked as he slowly pulled yourself up on your elbows.

"They don't do it right" he said as he glanced at you. He tightened the gauze and wrapped it around your leg one more before tying it off. He stood back to look at your leg before resting his eyes on your own. "How are you feeling?" He asked as he sat down beside your bed, pulling the seat closer to you. "Can I get you anything?"

"What about some water?" You asked as you pulled yourself up into a sitting position. He grabbed a cup of water that was on the nightstand right beside your bed.

"Can you hold it?" He asked and you rolled your eyes. You reached over and took the cup from it. You could feel the cold water beneath the thin layer of paper. You put the cup to your lips and tipped it upwards, the water flowing out of the cups and down your throat. The cool liquid felt wonderful on your sore throat. You put the cup back on the nightstand before leaning back into your pillows. Gray stared at your bandages. He reached over, hesitating to rest his hand on your own like he had so many times before.

"It's okay" you said to him as you reached the small distance and held his hand in your own. You intertwined your fingers as you smiled at him.

"You're an idiot" he said as he hid his face in his hands. You nodded in agreement.

"I am" you said as you squeezed his hand tighter. "But I'm fine. If you hadn't have saved me... I may not have-"

"Don't- just don't." He said as he looked up at you. His eyes looked red and swollen from crying, a feature you hadn't noticed before. "I should have gotten there sooner- taken the guy down when I had a chance"

"And you did. Thank you Gray. Thank you for saving me" you said as you rested your free hand on his cheek. He leaned into your touch, placing his other hand on the hand that was on his cheek.

"Anything for you (Name)" he said as he turned his head so that he was able to place a kiss on the palm of your hand.