Nightwing X Reader

A/N: just a small trigger warning. This does mention self harming and bullying so please don't read if you're uncomfortable with it.
------------------
He began noticing the bruises on your body about four months back. At first he didn't think anything of them. I mean the two of you fought crime together. Of course you would have a few bruises from dealing with back guys.
He became suspicious after two months however. He had walked in on you changing and as you were carefully taking your shirt off he noted that you looked in pain. He also noticed marks on your back. He didn't get a good chance to properly look at them before you began yelling obscenities as you scrambled to throw a shirt on and slam the door.

Within that month you became acting weird. You slept longer. He would watch as you just sat at the table in the middle of night. He would watch as you fiddled with the end of your sleeves. You no longer cared about anything.
You were no longer running around smiling. He no longer brightened the room with your smile.
You no longer graced him with your company when he went out on runs.

In a way....
You were no longer there.

He went to his friends for help. He brought up his worries. He talked about how you acted. It was batman, Bruce Wayne, who, of course, made it plain and simple.

"She's depressed"

The term both surprised and confused him.

"Depressed?" He repeated the term.

I mean. It would make sense. He though. The way you were acting. It was obvious. It was so painfully obvious.

When you came home later that day he put his plan into action. He gently pulled you to the couch.

"(Name). I'm sorry I've been so ignorant. I refused to see the truth and because of that. I made you suffer on your own" he looked at you with the utmost sincerity and love. "Will you please tell me what's wrong?" He gripped your hands as if he was the one in pain. You looked at him in shock. You weren't sure how to reply. You just stared at him.

"I'm just... A little stressed about school is all. Exams are coming up soon and I'm not prepared" you told him. You didn't meet his gaze but your gently patted his hand. "Don't worry. Once exams are over and I'm off of school everything will return to normal" you told him. However, he couldn't help but think that it sounded as though you were trying reassuring yourself than trying to reassure him.

The next day was the day he found everything out.

You were working on a paper that was due the next day. Your laptop was on the table away from him so you wouldn't wake him up while you were working.

He was already too used to having you at his side while he slept. He was far too dependant on you. He tiredly wandered into the kitchen where you were working. You were wearing a sweater with a blanket around you. Just as you stretched up he saw it. The feeling of sleep quickly washed away. He crossed the room and gripped your arm. At the sudden action it left you scared. Soon though you tried to pry his hand off.

"Dick- please. Oh my god." You attempted to push him away. Anything really. However his voice made you stop.

"Why....? Why did you do this?" He asked you shakily. You clenched your hand and he stared at your wrist. Thin, red cuts were spread across your wrist. Some were a pale colour while others were obviously new. "You don't deserve this (Name)." He told you as he gently caressed your face. "Please (Name). Allow me to help you" he allowed his thumb to gently rub at your wrist. "Tell me what's wrong. I love you" that's all you needed to broke. You began shaking and before long you used your free hand to cover your face as you cried. He pulled you in for a hug. After a few minutes of silent sobbing he pulled your chair out. You looked up at him in confusion but the moment he wrapped his arm around your legs you realized what he was doing. You opened your mouth to stop him but he interrupted you.

"We're going to bed and you're going to tell me what's wrong. Then tomorrow we're going to sleep in. You can hand in your paper the next day" he left no room for argument so you simply nodded.

That night the two of you talked about how to get better. You two made promises. He placed kisses wherever he could while you let out all of your worries, problems and tears.
The next day was not as fun for your offenders as it was for you.

No one messes with Nightwing's girlfriend.