Calico Skies

Paul waited until a reasonable time to wake up Liz.

"Sweetie?" He asked as he shook her to wake her up.

"Something wrong?" She asked, tired.

"Uh the hospital called last night but the line cut out; I don't know what they were trying to say." Paul explained.

Liz began to breath quickly.

Paul noticed her reaction and quickly hugged her.

"Shh..." Paul hummed. "I'm sure he's fine."

"Can we go check on him?" Liz mumbled.

"If the hospital doesn't call within the next hour, we'll go." Paul told her.

Liz nodded.

"The sun's still rising." Paul smiled as he opened the blinds of the window.

He came back to the bed and cuddled with Lizzy.

"Paul, I'm terrified." Liz whispered.

Paul pushed her hair out of he face.

"Just relax for now. Watch the sun." Paul said to get her mind off of George.

Paul laid behind her, her back on his chest and they watched the sun together. He heard her sniffs and realized she was quietly crying.

"Everything's gonna be alright." Paul said.

Liz shook her head. She held onto Paul's hand and brought it close to her. She nestled her head into it and Paul felt the wetness of her tears.

"What if something went wrong?" She cried.

"We'll find out how to get through it; I promise." Paul tried to comfort her.

She turned over so that her face was facing his. Silently, tears fell and went onto the pillow. Paul kissed her forehead and rested his lips there. Paul looked down to see Liz's hands trembling. He held both of them and kissed them.

Linda knocked on the door.

"Can I come in?" She asked from outside.

"Mmhmm." Paul said.

Linda slowly came in and saw Liz curled into Paul.

Linda gave Paul a confused look.

"George." Paul mouthed to her across the room.

Linda walked over quietly.

"Do you want some tea, Lizzy? Might make ya feel better." Linda offered.

"No thank you." Liz mumbled.

Julian began to cry and Linda brought him to Paul. Liz tried to stop crying in front of Julian and she sat up.

"Hi sweetie." She tried to smile.

"Mummy?" He looked at the unfamiliar look on her face.

Liz gave Julian a kiss and he tried to give her a baby kiss back.

"Mummy!" He giggled.

"Where's Daddy?" Liz asked.

Julian pointed at Paul and Paul made a silly face at him.

"Hey Buddy." Paul smiled and sat Julian in his lap.

"What've you been up to?" Paul asked.

Julian looked up at Paul. "I see Daddy!"

Paul laughed and gave Julian a kiss.

"I love you." Julian said.

Paul looked at him, stunned for a few seconds.

"Did you teach him that?" Paul asked Linda.

She blushed.

"I love you too, Joh- Julian." Paul bit his lip.

Linda looked at Paul, a bit worried.

"Uh Julian, why don't you play with your mummys?" Paul said and gave Julian to Liz.

Paul went to the bathroom and tried to bite a towel so he didn't cry. Linda came over and knocked.

"Paul? You okay?" She asked.

Paul opened the door and was in tears. Paul lips moved but no explanation came. Linda rubbed the tears from his eyes and fixed his hair.

She gave him a kiss.

"I miss him." Paul whispered.

"I know. But you've been doing so well. It's been like 7 or 8 months since he passed." Linda tried to make him feel better."

"8 months and 17 days." Paul corrected her.

Linda was a bit taken back by his knowledge of how long it had been.

"You've been counting?" Linda asked.

Paul nodded.

"Hey...John mentioned you in a letter I found of his to Liz." Paul mumbled.

"How? He didn't know me." Linda asked confused.

"Well, he didn't address you by name but he said he's find me a new love of my life and said he'd try to make sure se was blonde." Paul smiled.

"And you think it's me?" Linda blushed.

Paul nodded again. "You're the one."

Linda turned a bright red and hugged Paul. Paul played with her hair and gave her kisses.

"Thank you." Paul whispered. "Close your eyes."

Linda did, expecting another flower crown. But instead she felt Paul grabbing her hand and placing something on her finger.

"You can look now, Love." Paul said.

Linda found Paul down on one knee and she saw a new ring on her finger. It was a gold flower.

"See, this flower will last forever. So even when your flower crowns die, you'll always have this one." Paul smiled. "And you'll have me."

"Paul this is beautiful." She gasped.

Paul stood up and grabbed her by the waist.

"I love you, Miss Eastman." Paul said in his most posh accent.

"I love you too, Mr. McCartney." She mimicked and gave him a kiss.

They were interrupted by the phone. They returned to the room and he answered the phone.

"Hello?"

"Hello. This is a call regarding Mr. Harrison."

"Yes, what is it?"

"Um...you may want to come to the hospital if it's not too much of a problem."

"Not at all, we'll bed over there soon." Paul answered and hung up.

Everyone got ready and even Julian came. Linda and Julian waited in the waiting room while Paul and Liz went to George's room.

A doctor was standing in front of a curtain that was dividing the room.

"Hello, friends of Mr. Harrison's, I presume?" The man asked.

The two nodded.

"Well, I hate to be the one to say this but as of right now George has a 4% chance of living."

After a few moments of silence, Liz broke out in a rage.

"You son of a bitch! How dare you let this happen! What kinda fu-" Liz yelled before Paul put his hand over her mouth.

"Uh- can we see George?" Paul asked nervously as Liz's anger turned to devastation.