Follow Me

Prudence, George and Julian came home after their day out.

George got Julian some dinner ready and Prudence went upstairs to take a shower. On her way, Prudence heard Paul crying and cursing at himself.

She knocked on his door.

"May I come in?" She asked gently.

Paul said she could and she came in.

"What's wrong?" She asked.

"I screwed up really bad today." He sighed.

Prudence nervously sat on his bed with him and listened to his explanation of what happened.

Prudence noticed Paul's freshly cut wrists.

"So you do cut." She said.

"Oh. Yea." Paul said and crossed his arms.

"You don't have to hide them." She whispered and showed him hers.

"See...we both cut. No need to be embarrassed." Prudence assured him.

"You're a beautiful girl, y'know that?" Paul asked her.

She shrugged. "George's told me but I think he just has pity for me."

"I promise you, you're one of the most beautiful girls I've ever seen." Paul smiled.

Prudence carefully kissed his cheek.

"You should go get Linda back." She told him.

"Not now..." He sighed. "She'll probably try to kill me."

"Okay." Prudence said and hugged him gently.

"Do you want to be alone?" She asked.

"No thanks." Paul smiled and kissed her cheek. "Please, stay as long as you like."

Prudence nodded and calmed him.

"Maybe you should write a song for her." Prudence suggested.

"Like she'd listen to me." Paul laughed.

"Okay...give her a letter?"

"She'd just rip it up before she even read it." Paul said. "She's not gonna forgive me for a good while. And she's gonna have the baby soon; what if she doesn't forgive me before the baby's born?"

"She'll forgive you before then, won't she?" Prudence asked.

"I hope so." Paul said as he began to cry again.

Prudence lied his head on her chest and whispered positive thoughts to him.

"Prudence, ask Paul and Linda if they want anything to eat!" George shouted from the kitchen.

"I'll be right back, Paul." Prudence said and gingerly kissed his forehead.

Prudence went downstairs and explained to George what had happened.

"Where's Linda now?" George asked.

Prudence never thought to ask Paul.

"I'll find out. You just keep Jules company for now." Prudence told George and hurried back to Paul.

Prudence came back to find Paul in the same position on the bed, having a nervous breakdown.

"Paul?" She asked timidly.

He was breathing strangely and his breaths got shorter and shorter. Prudence ran downstairs to George.

"Does Paul have breathing problems or something?" She asked nervously.

"Asthma." George replied and she darted up the stairs again.

"Where's your inhaler?" She asked him frantically.

He pointed to the bathroom and Prudence got it quickly. She gave it to Paul and he was breathing normally after a few minutes. She got Paul some tea and handed it to him. His hands were shaking so much he kept spilling it.

"Here." Prudence said as she took the cup back from him and put the tea to his mouth.

"Thank you." He said sincerely.

Prudence nodded. "What was all of that about?"

"I realized Lin doesn't have anywhere else to stay." Paul said terrified. "I need to find her."

"Don't you think you should wait till tomorrow? It's too dark out now." Prudence told him.

"Well if Linda's out there, she'll freeze! It's pourin' out!" Paul exclaimed and ran to grab his coat.

Prudence hurried after him. "Please stay safe." She said and Paul gave her a kiss.

"God bless ya." He said and ran out the door.