Part 34: Scully

I needed sleep, but I really didn't want to. All I wanted to do was hold him in my arms, my little William. Mulder and I decided on that name together, he was named after my father. It was two in the morning and I was still holding a sleeping William in my arms. Mulder was asleep in the recliner next to my bed and my mom had gone home. I was drifting off until I heard a knock at the door. "Come in." I yawned. "Hey Dana." A shadowy figure with messy, red, curly hair stood in the doorway, "I just wanted to come by and say congrats." She said unenthusiastically. "Thanks Melissa." I said with a forced smile. She came over to my bed and lightly punched Mulder on the shoulder which startled him awake. "Oh...hi." He said nervously. "Congrats on not dying champ." She said with a giggle. Are they seriously getting along! This is not happening! I thought. "Thanks." Mulder whispered. "So where's my nephew?" Melissa turned to me and smiled. I smiled at her and then handed her the now squirming William and she took him the the most gentleness I have ever seen out of her. "Hey kid, how's it going." She said and laughed. I thought I saw a small tear run down her cheek but I'm not sure. Will just continued to wriggle and whine in her arms. "He doesn't seem to like me much, huh?" She laughed and looked up at me. She was definitely crying, her eyes were red and I could see the light reflect against the streaks of water on her cheeks. She handed the baby to Mulder and gave me a hug. "I am so happy for you." She whispered and kissed me on the cheek. "Thanks Melissa! I love you." I said, now crying. She waved at Mulder who was rocking William and exited the room. "I can't believe she was being kinda nice to me." Mulder said still holding the baby. "Babies do that to people." I joked, getting up. I sat on the chair next to Mulder and rested my head on his shoulder. We were both looking at the same thing, our son. "He's perfect." I whispered. "Yeah." Mulder responded and kissed me on the top of the head. He passed me the baby and I walked over to his bassinet and placed him in. Once I pulled the blanket over his little body and settled into my own bed I finally went to sleep. The first day of motherhood didn't turn out to bad. I thought and drifted into a deep, well-deserved sleep.