Chapter 28: Venice's Whisper

Heath knew that today was a bit longer than yesterday…

     Or the days past spent with her…

     Today was just that day.

     A day when seconds turned to hours… and hours felt like days…

     Each sound the second hand of the clock made lingered and seemed unending…

     Rooted and unmoving Heath couldn’t make his feet move another step closer towards her… He was just few meters away from her...

     He just needed 10 short steps… or maybe just 3 long strides and there Venice was…

     But few meters turned to miles as he watched painstakingly at Venice who was struggling for her life.

     She trashed on the bed struggling from the pain that she only knew and experienced.

     With eyes wide open she managed to express what her struggle brought forth… Fear and tears mixed as she grabbed and pulled whatever her hands reached… Some of her lines and tubes when flying so the people surrounding her pinned her down on her bed motionless by tying her hands body and feet.

     Helpless, void of sanity and judgment she was screaming her lungs out…

     Heath wondered if a heart carved out of stone would be capable of handling something like this.

     Her illness didn’t give her a slack… It didn’t take into consideration that Venice was small and fragile… It didn’t give a damn that Venice wanted to live… It didn’t give in and pave way for a miracle. Instead it reminded them that slowly but surely it was getting closer to claiming what has been delayed for years.

     Days after her last intubation Venice started to forget…

     Fleeting from consciousness and unconsciousness though awake…

     She couldn’t remember their faces and names and she started talking in random…

     He remembered seeing Venice looking at Hezekiah like it was the first time. Hapon noon at hindi niya sinasadyang maabutan ang dalawa sa loob na parehong hindi nahalata ang pagpasok niya sa kwartong iyon ng hospital kung saan naka-confine si Venice.

      “Hezekiah. Ang ganda naman ng pangalan mo.”

     Random and not connected she conversed with Hezekiah and out of nowhere she ended up saying.

      “Mahal na mahal ka siguro ng mama mo.”