Chapter 8: The Grant of Time

Memoir 4

Barcelona. 1 week ago.

     “Lamento tener que informarle de que te estas muriendo senorita.”

     Kahit ilang beses na niya iyong narinig tila  bago pa din sa pandinig ni Venice na mamatay na siya.

     Back then for a 16 year old who had no vice and had everything a teenager could hope for it didn’t make sense.

     Her cancer, Ewing Sarcoma, is an aggressive cancer.

     She was diagnosed when she was 16.

     She was also 16 when the doctors told her she had probably 5 years left to live.

     And to top it all, she was also 16 when she received a positive test for pregnancy.

     At para sa isang taong malapit ng mamatay wala na sigurong mas magandang balita sa pagbubuntis niya.

     From her grief, despair and depression, her unborn child brought her to new heights of hope and expectations.

     She wanted to live.

     Ipinagbawal noon ng mga doctor ni Venice ang pagbubuntis niya dahil makakasama sa kanya at sinabihan siya na “therapeutic abortion” daw ang gagawin nila kung papayag siya. It will prolong her life.

     But she refused with all she had even if she was afraid to die.

     Her unborn child was her last spark of life left.

     Pwede nilang kunin lahat ng dugo niya, pwede nilang operahan at buklatin lahat ng parte at laman ng katawan niya pero hindi nila pwedeng galawin ang anak niya.