Chapter 25: A Eulogy for Venice

Matagal na pinagmasdan ni Heath ang larawang nakadikit sa dingding ni Hezekiah noong umagang iyon. He ended up being there looking for Venice since he woke up alone in bed that morning.

     Napabalikwas siya mula sa pagkakahiga ng mapansing wala si Venice si tabi niya.

     A normal person would stay in bed thinking that maybe she was in the bathroom, kitchen or anywhere else in the house but for him it wasn’t the case. Every day was a battle of reality versus expectations. A second with her gone in his sight made him think of things he didn’t dare think.

     He searched frantically until he found her sleeping together with Hezekiah, tucked under a short blanket with her feet poking at the end of Hezekiah’s bed. Napangiti siya habang pinagmamasdan ang mag-ina niyang magkayakap. He kneeled and rumpled his son’s fluffy head softly before running a loving careful finger on Venice’s sunken cheeks that were once rosy and full. More than the weeks past, dark circles clouded under her eyes like they were never going away. Her skin that once glowed healthily now only flickered with what’s left.

      Kahit araw-araw siguro niyang makita si Venice at ang kalagayan nito hindi pa rin siya masasanay sa hitsura nito. She needed to eat more, he thought while he planned to cook for them in time when they both wake up. He stood up silently and planned to go out quietly when something caught his eye.

     Unconsciously his hands fisted hard.

     The drawing in the wall was too powerful to ignore.

     His eyes didn’t lie to him since what he saw was Venice standing near to what seemed to him as Hezekiah’s bed. His eyes lingered at the striking feature the drawing had. Venice had wings.

     His brows slammed in synced with his jaws as it moved in an attempt to swallow hard all of his emotions.

     Nakarinig ng mahinang kaluskos si Heath mula sa kama ni Hezekiah kaya agad niyang pinalis ang nararamdaman ng mga oras na iyon. Binalingan niya si Venice na noon ay iminumulat pa lang ang mga mapungay nitong mata. She stretched and smiled immediately when she saw him standing above them.

      “Morning!” she whispered.

     From where he was standing and periphery he could see the drawing clearly… He could see the wings. His mind worked hard to push away his thoughts and concentrate on saying the best good morning to his wife.

      “Good Morning Venice.”

     Venice tucked both her hands under her cheeks and smiled dreamily at him as she asked him a question. “Will you go out on a date with me today? Just us…”

     Heath just stood quietly while they looked at each other for quite some time.

     He smiled back and nodded slightly in an answer.