Chapter 26: Watch and Wait

“Are you happy?”

     Heath stared at the cross for a long time after asking the question with much contempt.

     Tahimik noon ang paligid kahit madami silang nandoon sa lugar na iyon. He sat uncaringly on the last pew of the dim lit room while everyone else was on their bended knees.

     Everyone else on the room was praying except him.

      “Are you happy?” he whispered again to a God that seemed deaf to him hoping He could answer back.

     Tired and weak he remembered how he woke up that morning on what seemed to be an unending nightmare.

     Nagising siya sa unggol ni Venice na balisa at pawisan sa kanyang tabi. With eyes shut tight Venice was clawing at their bedsheet as if they where her last life line. Her body writhed rhythmically in agony.

     “Ven-“ hindi makapaniwalang anas niya habang pinipilit niyang igalaw ang mga kamay niya para abutin ang nahihirapan nitong anyo. Heath was never scared his whole life until now as he saw that Venice’s body suddenly shook in tremors that died down seconds later before he could compose himself.

     He didn’t know what to do.

     Takot na inangat niya ang pawisang ulo nito at lantang katawan ni Venice sa kabila ng pagkatuliro niya. He ran as if he was running for his own life.

     This is just a nightmare and I am going to wake up anytime soon, he kept on telling himself. Just like the nightmares that always lingered whenever he slept ever since Venice told him she was dying.

     Rumaragasang dinaanan niya sa kusina at sala ang Mama ni Venice at si Hezekiah. Like him they were also dumb founded. There was no time for explanations but they understood the urgency of the situation. Everything else was in a blur and he couldn’t feel anything.

     Cold and terrified, he couldn’t remember how they reached the emergency room; he couldn’t even remember that he was in his sleep wear and that he wasn’t wearing any shoes or slippers.

     Barefooted he carefully carried and transferred Venice’s lifeless body on the stretcher.

     Heath just stepped aside as they rolled Venice’s stretcher away from him. Sinundan at kinausap ng Mama ni Venice ang team na umasikaso kay Venice habang naiwan siya kasama ni Hezekiah na nakatayo sa gilid ng busy na emergency room.

     Stuck on the floor Heath just stared as the unbelievable unfolded in his eyes. Hezekiah just stood beside him crying.