Chapter 20: Day and Night

“Venice Manuel, Manila to Madrid, Flight Number: CA180, once in Beijing, transfer to Flight Number: CA907 connecting to Madrid. Flight Status: Confirmed and Checked-in. Departure within 3 hours.”

     Venice had trouble digesting the words that the person in front of her was saying. The staff was explaining something while handing out her passport and boarding pass but her mind was elsewhere.

     All throughout the process she’d been in a daze while wandering aimlessly around the airport.

     Nahanap din niya ang gate at lounge area kung saan siya mag-aantay ng pagdating ng eroplano na sasakyan niya. Napatingin siya sa paligid at sa mga taong unti-unting dumadating para mag-antay kagaya niya. All of them seemed oblivious that she was Venice Manuel, maybe because they were pre-occupied with something. Something like saying goodbye to their loved ones.

     Napatingin si Venice sa isang pasaherong umiiyak sa isang gilid habang hawak nito ang telepono nito. Venice wanted to do the same and wanting to do the same was not productive. She shifted her gaze off elsewhere and looked outside the glass windows where airplanes landed and departed. Soon she’ll be boarding one of those airplanes but her attention flew past those crafts. Somewhere out there were Heath and Hezekiah.

     How did she end up being there anyway? She asked herself why she was there but she didn’t have an answer.

     Soon she found herself in daze as thoughts from yesterday occupied her mind.  

__________________________

     Venice dreaded that moment after Heath placed a warm glass of milk in front of her that he ended up making for both of them after Hezekiah was already asleep. Sila na lang noon ang natitira sa kusina. Lahat ng kamag-anak ni Venice umalis na pati ang mama nito na nakita ang halikan nila kanina sa sala.

     The moment he kissed her like the way she did proved something. Heath knew her secret so there was no point in hiding.

      “Yeah, I heard you last night, loud and clear. By the way, you shouldn’t go on kissing someone when they’re asleep. Pwede kang makasuhan. What’s with that kiss anyway? Hindi mo man lang sinakto sa bibig ko.” Heath jested insincerely.

      “You heard me and you’re still acting this way?”

      “Acting like what?” He blinked innocently.

      “Acting like I’m not dying. I won’t sugar coat anything. I have roughly six months. Maybe more maybe less, still I’m terminal.”