Chapter 14: Keeping a promise

“I won’t love you…”

      “LIAR”. Heath screamed at himself at the back of his mind.

     The words he just uttered tasted bitter to his mouth but he still managed to say each piece.

     Kahit pa ilang beses niyang sabihin kay Venice na hindi niya ito mamahalin alam ni Heath na hinding-hindi niya magagawa iyon.

     Heath stared lovingly at the woman in front of him.

     Si Venice pa din ang babaeng minahal, minamahal at mamahalin niya.

     Heath loves her. He just loves her. Even if she rejects him a hundred times more. Even if it means they’ll never be together.

     He will still love her.

     What he wanted to do now was to pretend just a little bit longer that he couldn’t see Venice’s outraged expression or hear another string of hurtful words from her.

     Somehow at the back of his mind, even before he confessed in front of the whole world, he already knew that she was going to reject him. He pushed that idea away at the back of his mind and like a simpering hopeful fop, he confessed, he arranged hundreds of flowers and bought a ring that came along with it.

     Heath felt the box on his chest.

     Sayang hindi niya man lang nailabas iyon dahil muhkang wala ng pag-asa na lumabas ang laman ng kahon na iyon kahit kailan.

     Maybe it was the reason why his cheeks felt wet. The idea of her loving him back was next to impossible.

     He swallowed the lump on his throat and lifted his eyes away from her in an attempt to put his tears off shore. In that same moment he saw Hezekiah. Not too far away from them.

     Ilang minuto na kaya itong nakatayo doon?

      “Anak.”

     Sabay nilang nilingon ni Venice si Hezekiah na kunot-noong napatitig sa kanilang dalawa. Maya-maya hindi na normal ang pagtaas baba ng balikat ng bata. Nanginginig ang dikit nitong labi at sunod-sunod ang galaw ng pilik mata nito. At di nagtagal nagsimula na itong umiyak.

     Nauna si Venice sa tabi ng anak nila. Lumuhod ito at buong suyo na kinausap ang anak nila sa salitang banyaga.

      “Lo que esta mal Hezekiah?”