Chapter 24: Wings

Venice opened her eyes and blinked hard as waves of pain exploded around and through her body.

     Venice dreaded mornings…

     Because every morning ever since her chemo was always a disaster.

     Simultaneously, a vein in her temple kept on throbbing furiously and a white blinding pain ran though the middle of her skull up to her spine rhythmically.  Her chest hurt from expanding with each breath she took. She felt like throwing up as her insides turned upside down. Her hands and feet tingled, millions of hot pins stabbed her extremities and to top it all there was not a part in her body…  skin, flesh up to her bones that was pain free.

     What she felt right now was like a normal common cold and fever… only worse by a 100 times fold.

     It had been roughly 3 months since the start of chemo and radiation therapy and the aftereffects were taking its toll on her body.

     She was in pain… She was in so much pain.

     Venice successfully sat up her bed carefully, stopping from time to time, afraid that her slightest movement might wake Heath who just arrived last night from days of work. Buti na lang pagod na pagod ito mula sa trabaho kaya hindi ito nagising sa paggalaw ng kama nila.

     Venice stared at his peaceful sleeping form for a moment.

     It wasn’t easy for Heath to manage his time for her, for Hezekiah and for his career after they were married. He already turned down billion worth of offers just to keep in pace of her treatment. Ilang artikulo na din ang naisulat sa mga tabloid at newspaper patungkol sa pagiging unprofessional nito, sanhi na rin sa hindi nito mabalanseng oras at dahil hindi ito makapagtrabaho ng maayos. At first, people understood what they were going through but people moved on after a while. All people are wired that way. It was a shot to the moon if Heath thought that people would always adjust for him and Venice. Hindi dahil sa naghihirap ka palaging mabait ang buong mundo sayo… dahil may sarili din silang paghihirap makakalimutan nila ang paghihirap mo. It’s a sad truth but his career is on the verge of sinking and it was only a matter of time now before it reaches rock bottom. 

     He once mentioned about quitting showbiz but she firmly disagreed. Kahit pa gaano kadami ang pera bali-baligtarin mo man ang mundo, mauubos pa rin iyon. She asked him to endure a little more and told him to value his work. Heath had to adjust just for her so he didn’t deserve this kind of inconvenience from her especially that her time was nearing.

     Her body was giving her signals that she was getting worse by the day but she can’t let her loved ones know her battle against pain. Venice knew that her pain would not go away even if she screamed on top of her lungs… If she cried and rolled and beg for her to be spared… who would feel more pain? Was it her? No… It will be them.