Chapter 22: A moment in a day, A lifetime in my heart

Heath quietly watched the woman he loved from afar.

     He wanted to approach her but his feet couldn’t move from where he was standing. All he did all this time was to cower behind one of the corners of the hospital where they were at and clutch tightly the new results of her tests and scans that they did a few days ago.

     Heath thought he was already prepared for this but he wasn’t.

     Sa dalawang linggong nakalipas magmula noong inilahad ni Venice sa buong Pilipinas na may sakit siya, magkasamang hinalughog nila ang lahat ng mga ospital para lang hanapin ang pinakamagaling na Oncologist na tutulong sa kanila. He insisted that they can avail the best abroad but she refused. Sabi ni Venice ipunin na lang nila ang pera para sa kinabukasan ni Hezekiah, dinagdag pa ni Venice nakulang lang ang tiwala niya sa mga doctor dito sa Pilipinas gayong madami namang magagaling. Pinag-awayan nila iyon pero sa bandang huli bumigay din siya dito. Binantaan niya ito na kung wala silang mahahanap aalis talaga sila ng bansa mapagamot lang ito na agad naman nitong sinang-ayunan. Then they found someone who genuinely cared about her case not because she was a celebrity, with much professionalism he handled the case of Venice well.

     No further realistic options for treatment.

     Iyon lang ang nakasulat sa prognosis ni Venice.

     Heath prepared and imagined the day the oncologist would tell him the news just like in the movies and books but when he finally heard every word the oncologist said he couldn’t comprehend and digest any of it. The oncologist kept on answering every question Heath had with much sympathy, giving them excellent care since the start of Venice’s diagnostic tests which he was truly grateful of.

     For the first time, Heath felt the weight of the world on his shoulders while looking at her.

     Matagal na pinagmamasdan ni Heath mula sa kinatatayuan niya si Venice na tahimik at matiyagang nagaantay sa ibabalita niya.

     Heath remembered how he’d sometimes see her whispering to Hezekiah who in turn unconsciously tells him what his mom always whispers. Minsan gustong awayin ni Heath ang google translate dahil sa tuwing babangitin ng anak niya ang sinasabi ng mama nito isa lang ang lumalabas na resulta. Venice was telling his son that she was going to heaven. Minsan pa pagkagalling niya sa taping nadatdatnan niyang palihim na tumitingin si Venice sa mga brochure. When she’s not around he’d search for those brochures which in the end turn out as various funeral offers and memorial services. Binibilugan pa ni Venice kung minsan ang mga natitipuhan nitong mga promo na lihim niyang dinadamdam.

     She already accepted her death without even trying but he refused to acknowledge it. He’ll exhaust out all possibilities just to find a solution for her… And today it hit him hard… because he just found out it was not feasible.

     He felt his heart was cut in half as hundreds of images of her through the years flashed within his memory. The woman whom he built up sand castles and formed fairytales with on the corner of his mind.

     She was wild and untamed… full of energy and packed up with so much potential. She always had those brilliant eyes that always sparkled with mischief whenever they spat on each other. She was always bouncing around happily and giddy in front of him, uncaring like her future will always shine bright on her. She was his Venice… and she was dying…. She was really dying.