Chapter 28

(Ethan's POV)

"I honestly thought that the test was easy," Meadow smiled, happily munching on the hamburger.

     She was a little too happy. I glanced at Kendall and she shot me a look, instantly getting why she was happy. Grayson, of course. As if on cue, he strolled into the cafeteria, smiling happily.

However, the second his eyes wandered around the room, they landed nearby, but not on Meadow as expected. I followed his gaze to see him staring at Dallas, who stood up at her table, gesturing for him to come over.

     In order to get to her table, he had to go passed us, and he knew for a fact that he couldn't just walk past without telling us why.

      He stopped awkwardly at the head of the table, tapping his fingers on the top, soon clearing his throat afterwards. "I-uh can't uh-sit with um- you guys today..."

"Why not?" Kendall demanded an answer. She was always sticking up for Meadow.

"Uh-I uh-have to help Dallas study for our history test," he stuttered, eager to avoid the deep water was in.

He was lying. It wasn't hard to tell. Just one look in his eyes and anyone would know. Plus, when he's lying he fidgets and his nostrils flare every so slightly. I am his twin after all.

I looked quickly at Kendall to see fume steaming out of her ears. She knew, too. It was pretty obvious she was upset about his lies, and her clenched fists and gritted teeth said so, especially considering the fact that she doesn't get angry easily, which her unusual actions proved. Unlike Kendall, Meadow was more sensitive, but she wasn't dumb. She sure wasn't dumb.

      Cautiously, I turned towards Meadow to see her half-eaten hamburger laying motionless on her tray. I stared at her hands crossed over one another, leaning against the edge of the table to keep her sitting up. Her head, however, lazily hung, staring at whatever was on her food tray.

     Kendall and I wouldn't dare to say anything, afraid of an outburst from her. I watched her closely, trying to find a sign of a feeling besides sadness. I knew that the more quiet she was, the worse she felt, and each second passed by dreadfully.

"Ethan?" She stated, finally speaking, but not removing her gaze from the table.

"Y-yes, Meadow?" My voice cracked, and I soon attempted clearing my throats afterwards.

"He lied, didn't he?" I couldn't lie to my best friend.

"Yes."

-

"Eth! Wait up!" A familiar voice called at the end of the hallway, and the sound of footsteps on the concrete rung through my ears.

"What do you want, Grayson?" I stopped, allowing him to catch up to me.

"Where are you going?"

"To Meadow's," I responded dryly, not wanting to talk to him at the moment.

"Oh, can I come?" His face lit up at the sound of her name, and he looked at me with hopeful eyes.

"No."

"Why not?" He persisted.

"I have to help her study for our history test tomorrow."

"Oh, I can help, too," he smiled cluelessly, clutching onto his backpack straps.

"We're good. You can just go help out Dallas," I walked off, not in the mood to deal with this anymore.

"What's that supposed to mean?" He called out.

     As Gray continued to yell for my attention, I quickened my pace, thinking, yeah, I was mad, too.

-

"Meadow, please," I begged.

She said nothing, and has said nothing in the past ten minutes of me being here. She sits at the bay window in her room (Girl Meets World😂) staring out at the tree with a scarcity of leaves.

"What do you want me to say?" she huffed, not removing her attention from the scene outside the window.

"How you feel?" I suggested, attempting to start conversation.

"I'm fine," she stated, which she clearly was not.

"I'm pretty sure you're not, considering your inability to talk at the moment," she stayed quiet for a few seconds, not saying anything.

She finally shifted her body to face me, where I sat on her bed patiently. Her under-eyes were puffy, and as my eyes met hers, a single tear fell from her right eye. Punch Grayson when I get home, I reminded myself.

"Why does he do this?"

"What do you mean?"

"I'm so stupid!" She sobbed placing her head in her hands to muffle her desperate cries.

"What do you mean, M?" I sighed, rushing over to sit next to her, rubbing her back with my thumb.

"I-I ha-hate myself," she exhaled, burying herself in my chest, her tears dampening my shirt.

"Why, Meadow? You're an amazing person," I asked, wrapping my arms around her securely.

"B-because...I wa-was stupid enou-ugh to think that s-someone like G-Gray would actually like m-me," she whispered. "G-guys like h-him go with girls like Da-allas."

"You know Gray isn't like that," I frowned, becoming upset over my brother's actions. He doesn't really think about what he does.

"B-but, he's so bipolar! One second he's all flirtatious and sweet and...and then he ignores me like I'm chopped liver! I'm done waiting for him!"

881 words A/N I know that it's not the usual 1000 words, but I wanted to get this filler out so that you guys could finally have something to read... Are you ready for the next chapter?😏