Chapter 3

(Meadow's POV)

"So what do we need to get?"

I entered through the automatic doors of Target, and a stream of warm air hit my face. I grabbed a cart and caught up to Grayson who was grabbing a basket by the entrance. He fumbled in his coat pocket and took out a folded piece of paper and pushed it into the palm of my hand.

"Just get the things on the list." With that he walked off. Jeez, I thought. He can be so socially awkward sometimes.

I opened the list he gave me and scanned it quickly:

Cups
Plates
Canby
Mater dallons
Mhite T-shirts
Doritos

What? I thought, staring blankly at the words. There were multiple scribbles over misspelled words and it seemed as though Grayson had written in gibberish. It took me a second to remember that he had dyslexia and has a hard time with spelling. I quickly deciphered the letters and pushed the cart to find the aisle with plastic cups and plates.

-

"Ugh, almost there."

I lift myself higher up on my tippy-toes, attempting to reach the bag of nacho cheese Doritos on the top shelf. I'm one of the tallest girls in our grade, and yet I'm incapable of grabbing a bag of chips. I sighed and landed back on the flats of my feet. All of a sudden, I heard loud, slow, sarcastic clapping and I knew exactly where it was coming from.

"Really, Grayson?" I said, turning to see him walking down the aisle, easily carrying a full basket. He came next to me and lifted up his empty hand, grabbing the bag from the shelf. He stuck his hand out that had the chips and waited for me to grab them.

"I almost had it, but whatever," I mumbled snatching the bag and placing it the cart.

"Sure," he grinned at me, placing the basket in the cart and pushed it down the rest of the aisle. I crossed my arms and followed him.

-

"Are you sure you don't need me to come with you?"

"I'm fine, Meadow. Just go in the house. "

I was standing on my porch trying to convince Grayson to let me help him bring the grocery bags to his house. But he refused. I knew he could carry all the bags to the house, considering the fact that he was the quarterback of the football team, but for some reason I didn't want our time together to end.

"If you say so," I huffed as he turned to leave.

"Wait," I began, and he stopped and turned around. I pointed to his sweatshirt and started to take it off.

"Just keep it," he said nonchalantly before turning and walking down the steps. Ok..

I turned around and opened the front door, and entered inside. I removed my jacket and hung it on the hook after I removed my boots, revealing my fuzzy purple socks. I ran upstairs and entered my room, walking towards my closet. I changed out of my jeans and long sleeve t-shirt, replacing it with a tank top and black leggings. I put Grayson's sweatshirt back on, since I was still cold from being outside. I flopped on my bed and pulled out my phone to text Kendall:

Me: Weekend sleepover at my place?

She replied a few seconds later.

Kendall: Sure. Be there in 5.

Me: Ok cool.

I set my phone down on my bed, and left to go find my brother. I peaked my head into his room and saw him sitting on his bed on his phone.

"Kendall is coming over in five," I said, leaving him to panic.

I hopped down the stairs and grabbed a pack of gummy worms out the cupboard, along with a package of popcorn. I popped it in the microwave and hummed while I waited for it to go off.

When the microwave began to beep, I grabbed a bowl out the cabinet and cautiously removed the hot popcorn, placing it on the counter. I gave it a few seconds to cool down and then I opened the buttery goodness and poured it in the bowl. Right then the doorbell rang and I ran to open it. There Kendall stood still in her clothes from school.

Kendall and I have been best friends since second grade. Since we don't live that far apart from each other, we have clothes and hygiene items like toothbrushes and pillows at each others' houses. She doesn't have to bring anything but herself.

Kendall looked me up and down and gave me a weird look. "What?" I asked her lifting up my arm to smell my armpit.

"Nothing," she shook her head and walked inside while changing the subject. "Is Max here?"

"He's upstairs, why?"

Kendall glanced up at me quickly and and then looked back at the ground, her cheeks turning to a fire truck red.

"Oooooooo, Kendall has a crush!!!!" I sang skipping around her.

"Shut up,"she shushed me,"he might be able to hear you!"

I looked up and began laughing at how scared she was for him to find out.

"Calm down, he's sick in his room and won't be going anywhere."

She signed in relief and said," I'm going to change upstairs." She quickly ran upstairs to end this conversation as soon as possible.

-

"What movie do you want to watch?"

I flopped onto the couch and grabbed a handful of popcorn from the bowl on the coffee table.

"Um...Despicable Me," I said with a mouthful of popcorn. Kendall and I aren't usually interested in the movies that kids our age watch. We like to watch the movies we saw when we were eleven and twelve. Kendall grabbed the disc and popped it into the DVD player. She grabbed the remote and hit play while walking over and sitting down beside me.

Five minutes into the movie, Kendall turned to me and said, "what's going on between you and Grayson?" I spit out the water in my mouth at the sound of her words. I looked up at her and she stared at me with a raised eyebrow.

"What do you mean?" I questioned.

"You're wearing his sweatshirt."

I glanced down and saw Grayson's sweatshirt loosely clinging to my body. Aw man, I thought. I must have forgotten to take it off.

"How do you know it's his?"

"He was wearing it earlier today at school," she said, still staring at me while I played with my fingers.

"So what? I was cold and he let me use it. It's not a big deal," I shrugged grabbing my one hundredth gummy worm today.

"Yeah," she said," it's not a big deal at all. Especially considering the fact that you have millions of other sweatshirts in your room."

I rolled my eyes and responded saying, "whatever, I still don't like him."

"Mhmmm," she smirked turning her head back to TV screen."Sure."

1149 words A/N How was Chapter 3? I promise Ethan will come into the story soon! What do you think will happen in the next chapter??