Chapter 36

NOT EDITED
(Meadow's POV)

I trudged down the concrete sidewalk, my sneakers dragging against the concrete, the scratching sound, however, was only stuffed somewhere in the back of my mind.

I decided to leave as soon as the last bell had rang, rushing out the front door of the building before I could be caught by anyone. I've been out of it all day. I didn't bother to pay attention in science, and Grayson didn't even look at me once the whole entire class. I hid out at the library during lunch, not wanting to make the situation more awkward than it already seemed to be. I already imagined the looks on my friends' faces as they would stare at Grayson, who sat on the other side of the room next to Dallas, who's face would be plastered with a victorious smirk, and I knew my circle would end up pestering me with questions.

How dare she? She ruined everything for me. But I was too bothered... too embarrassed to do anything about the situation. I decided to leave it alone, to not push anyone to the point where I would be given more issues. I kicked a pebble on the sidewalk, and I watched it tumble into a person, or maybe a family's yard, hiding in the grass.

I mentally face palmed, and instead of paying attention to the kind boy that I had fallen in love with, I focused onto his past, the person who he used to be.

"Mead, come play outside with us," fetus Ethan called from the back door, his voice high-pitched and squeaky.

"No, I don't want to see her weird face," a similar boy called out, arguing with his twin brother.

"Grow up, Grayson," the two twins argued back and forth, their ideas not agreeing and mixing together. "Meadow, come play."

"Fine, Ethan," Meadow ignored Grayson's demands and came outside alongside Ethan, who raised his hand to offer the eight year old girl a high five.

"How about tag?"Ethan questioned, raising away from the other two children instantaneously.

"Your it, Maeve," Grayson ran forward to the younger girl, tugging at her cry ponytail, his fingers getting caught in her curls.

"Owwww," she screamed as he ran out further into the backyard, not giving Meadow enough time to tag him in return for his disrespectful actions.

She even remembered how he was just months ago.

"Okay, class," the teacher rested her clipboard against her side, turning to face the students that stood quietly on the line. "We're going to play a game of dodgeball."

     The teams were chosen, and Meadow walked on her side of the quart peacefully, not necessarily eager to get pummeled by a sweaty, rubber ball. She moved off to the side, allowing the boys to take up the center of the quart. She was athletic, of course she was, but she was not in the mood to receive bruises on her arms from the boys' competitive throws.

"Gray, you take Amy, I'll get Meadow," a boy spoke from the other team.

"I got Meadow," Grayson ushered himself to stand across from the teen, a smirk plastered against his face, which was already beading with sweat. "She'll be a piece of cake."

     She scowled at his competitive behavior, and decided it would be best to give the obnoxious boy a piece of her mind. She waltzed over to the middle of the court, still arranging herself to be closer to the back than the front. She wasn't that confident about her athletic ability. A plan formed in Meadow's mind as she strategized ways to make Grayson pay. A few seconds later, an easy-enough idea formulated in her brain, and she had decided to tease the boy, rather than to get him out first thing.

     She was snapped out of her thoughts, and her attention had been brought back of the court, where Grayson stood in front of her, standing right next to the dividing line. His stare on her was intense, and he watched her to the point where she felt that he could pounce on her any second,  which caused her legs to shake in anxiety. The whistle blew, and Grayson bent down to pick up a dodgeball, not having to bother with running to retrieve one, because he was practically on the line. Meadow kept her eyes on Grayson, but made sure to watch the other members of the team out of her peripheral vision. Grayson jumped from one foot to the other, his legs moving in a hustle and eager pattern, his sneakers squeaking across the glossy, gym floors.

     The boy's pants could be heard across the room; not in tiredness, but more-so in an anxious fury, ready to execute me with the rubber ball. Before she could find a way to remove her feet from the ground, her gaze locked with Grayson's, and his arm swung as he flung the ball across the open space. Her mind coming back to normal, Meadow ducked down, throwing herself to the ground as the ball skimmed past, milimeters away from touching her skin. She sighed quickly as she jumped up, removing herself from being such a target.

     She took off to stand acoss the room, in the back corner of the court to protect herself from the other team's pitches and throws. She watched as the boy smirked at her, catching a ball in his hands without even flinching from the fast velocity. "Where are you running to, Meadow,' he called out, smirking as he jogged across the court to be directly across from her.

      She sighed, taking steps towards the other court, only to find the boy following her lead. She ran back and forth across the far line of the court, attempting to tire the boy, but then mentally cursed herself for realizing that she was dealing with a football player. He probably ran miles around the school at his practices. She took note of the lessened amount of players, and came to a conclusion that it was time to take a risk. She spotted a ball in the middle of the court, and plunged for it, keeping her guard up from Grayson's throws.

     Just as she went to stand up with the ball in her clutch, another one past by her face, almost taking off her nose. "Oops," she heard a teenaged boy call out from across the court.

     Meadow clenched her teeth together, her lips pressed in a firm line as she turned to look at the smirking boy, ready to kill him and remove him off of the face of the planet. She guided herself through the steps as she lifted up her dominant arm that gripped on the rubber, keeping Grayson in view as he stood their, grinning like the Cheshire cat, Max's words running through her brain from when he had taught her how to throw a football. She pyched the boy out as he went to throw his hands up in the air, and aimed down low for his legs, where the rubber sphere bounced off of his left calf.

My eyes met his, and his open mouth made me smirk from ear to ear, the sound of the cheers and cat calls not clouding my thoughts, as observed Grayson's reactions to his defeats.

There was no way I could like a guy like this. Right?

1236 words a/n Hey guys! I've been gone for over a month, but I honestly don't know how I want to end the story without it seeming too corny. If you have any ideas please message me, and you might receive a dedicated chapter. Thanks for being patient with me... Love you!