Opera house

.......... We drove through the city there was a fleet of long black cars all waiting in turn to pull up outside of the grand opera house that had been here for 150 years.

“You nervous?’ Seth asked as he tied his own mask on

“No” I smiled at him ‘Terrified” I pointed to the sky the heat haze rose above the city as I chewed my lip

“No need to be scared” he smiled moving closer to me “You look so amazing tonight you’ll be the bell of the ball”

“Yeah well I thought the whole idea was not to be seen” I sighed as the car glided to a halt

“You’re with me people will notice and wonder where I’ve been hiding you” he smiled the door opened “Shall we” he smiled getting out he offered me his hand I took it and got out, He gave me his arm I gathered my skirt as we started to walk up the stairs other people moving around in costumes like a Lion and Carmen Miranda. “Breathe” Seth whispered as people took pictures I don’t think we need it to rain”

“Hey be thankful I’m not in my really happy place” he looked at me “We’d be knee deep in snow by now” He started to laugh

“Well you stay nervous then” He handed over two white cards as we stepped through the doors the air-conditioning a welcome feeling especially with how heavy this dress actually was. There was a lot of chattering in the foyer, Seth took two champagne glasses from the nearest tray and handed one of them to me.

“I’ve never been in here” I looked round at all the moldings and the opulent colors and drapes

“You have” he took my elbow and guided me through a set of doors out into the opera house the stage had been extended and people were already dancing on it. “Would you like a little tour?” He smiled at me as he acknowledged a few people who were looking his way.

“I’d love one” I nodded he took the drink from em and put it on the next tray that went by

“Miss Remus” he offered me his arm again as we walked through the auditorium to a staircase He unclipped the velvet rope.

“Sorry it’s closed up there” a guy hurried toward us Seth turned round and looked at him

“I’m just showing my companion around Miles”

“Oh Mr. Vandes… I didn’t recognize you. Of course its okay for you” the man beamed at him Seth nodded and turned back to me

“Shall we?” he smiled

Okay were you using your mind then?”

“Can’t you tell?” Seth shrugged

“No I can’t” I shook my head

“Well No I wasn’t. My Father gives a lot of money to the opera house so they like to keep us sweet” He chuckled “This way” he lead me down a corridor off from the main seating. He stopped by a door and turned the handle “Ladies first” I walked inside into a box that over looked the stage. Four seats were lined up off to the side a small table filled with glasses and decanters filled with Liquor no bottles just crystal. The deep red seats looked more comfortable than a normal seat in the theatre. “The Vandes Box” he stood next to me as we watched the people moving round dancing to part of the Opera houses orchestra.

‘It’s incredible” I gripped onto the rail round the top

“Are you alright” I felt his arm go round my waist

“Either the dress is too tight or… Seth” I gripped his arm and things began to fog round me but the music continued…..

“Where did Brae get to” I felt my heart skip a beat at the sound of my Fathers voice “That boy will be late for his own funeral”