Nightmares Begin

....... “Er… why the silence?” I moved to look at both of them

“Nothing” Pete said quickly moving me back into position and starting the tattoo.

“Okay my turn to say Bullshit” I groaned

“Star” there was a warning undertone to Pete’s voice

“I’m twenty two I know fuck all about my life until I was seven” I fought back the tears, most kids remember things that happened to them when they started school and before that but my first memory was being in a children’s home in a bed with a storm raging and feeling terrified. “When?”

“Enough”  Pete barked at me “Star just get on with your life and be done with it” I bit my lip as a tear hit the back of my hand “The Vandes Family is trouble for the likes of you… Er… us” he quickly corrected himself “Stay away from then and that’s the end of it” his hand held me firm as he carried on tattooing I closed my eyes and tried to remember but there was nothing from before that time nothing at all. I could hear the chatter of the guys in the shop and the click of the pool balls and the sound of the tattoo machine humming. “Okay Star” I felt a chill and then a wipe “Your phoenix is all down” Pete sounded weary. I looked round at him as he pinched the bridge of his nose.

“Thanks” I got up and pulled up the top of my dress back in place “I’m going to bed”

“Star” Pete caught my hand “I’m sorry for yelling at you but something’s are best left forgotten”

“I’d like for once to have the choice of hearing it or not” I shrugged.  I walked to the back of the shop and up the stairs I sat down half way up.

“She needs to know Pete” I heard Joes’ voice

“Like hell she does shes an innocent kid that doesn’t need this bullshit”

“You know as well as I do it’s not bullshit… If he finds out who she is we’re all fucked… we should have gotten her out of the city when we had the chance”

“And I thought by leaving her in the homes she would have been invisible and have fallen through the cracks” Pete snapped back

“So why did you invite her to stay here?”

“Because we’re the only ones that can protect her from her birth fate” I heard Pete get up I got to my feet and hurried up the last of the stairs into my room closing the door quietly.

Oh this couldn’t be good I have a bunch of bikers looking out for me and what the hell was a birth fate? I slowly got ready for bed my mind on over drive I got under the covers. I was going to go back to the Vandes building to try to find out more…

……Nightmares racked my sleep I tossed and turned waking up sweating more than once but remembering nothing apart from the feeling of being swallowed by darkness and being unable to see and hearing the same words over and over… I grabbed a bottle of water from the kitchen the only light was the light coming from the refrigerator. I sank half of it when words raced round in my head the same words that I’d heard in my dream. I closed the door and hurried back to my room turning on the bed side light I pulled a piece of paper from the draw and took a pen and wrote down the words as the echoed in my mind.

War by Day

Love by night

Bound with Blood

The goose bumps sprang up on my arms as I read over it, what the hell were these words and why were they scaring the crap out of me. My heart was racing I looked at the clock it was a little after 6am. I walked out to the bathroom and showered taking care not to get the tattoo wet. I dried and dressed and hurried down the stairs.

“UP early” Joe looked up from the pool game he was playing with Pete.

“Yeah couldn’t sleep”  I shrugged “I’m going for a walk”

“Star”

“Yes” I sighed and turned round with my hand on the door handle

“You sure you’re okay?”

“I’m fine I just couldn’t sleep”

“You want to go for a ride” Brae was sitting on the couch. I narrowed my eyes at him “Hey I’m sorry for running my mouth last night the least I can do is take you for a ride”

“It might do you good getting out and having fun” Pete leant on the pool table

“Yeah true” I chewed my lip “Okay ass lets go” I opened the door “I’ll see you later?” I stepped out , Brae walked out behind me and onto his bike, He waited  for me to climb on behind him “Hey can we take a ride through the city” I asked as I got on behind him

“Yes Ma’am” He kicked the bike to life I held on to his waist loosely as we roared away down the street………….