Horror

………. The sound of music filled my head as the darkness became lighter and lighter before a staircase swept down and to the left where there were a sea of people all in incredible dresses the men immaculate in suits, like they’d stepped out of some old MGM musical.

“No need to be nervous. You are the star tonight” Marco laughed as he patted my hand. "May be later you and i shall..." he bit his bottom lip as he looked me up and down"

"Brother" there was a warning tone in the one word as I turned my head an looked at Seth, there was one thing about these Vandes Boys hell they were good looking in the dashing pirate or romance novel hero type of way. The long black hair they all sported that was blacker than ebony, the chiseled features and the almost black eyes.

“Just trying to help Star relax” Marco retorted, Seth shook his head a little and straightened his posture, I looked away from him and looked to where my Father was standing at the foot of the staircase, I had no memory of him but instinct told me who he was.

“Ahh finally” he called out above the chatter “The host and hostess of this party are here” the chatter died away and people stopped and looked up and started to clap.

“Shall we?” Seth looked at me “I just nodded. We started down the stairs I automatically knew names and stories of the faces in the crowd, people my Father did business with, people I’d been at school with.

“You look so grown up, so beautiful” My Father sighed as he stepped up to me I saw his eyes flick to the two Vandes Brothers before flicking back up the stairs where I knew Gregor must be.

“She already caught the eyes of my sons” I jumped a little as I saw Gregor walk up to the side of my Father how the hell was he already down the stairs.

“So I See” My Father’s tone was flat “Seth, Marco I’ll take my daughters now after all every father should have a dance with their little girl when they come of age” he held out his hand to me as I took my arms from Seth and Marco’s.

“As long as we get to dance with the belle of the ball” Marco lent on the post at the end of the stairs smiling as the chatter began again.

“That is up to my daughter” Father snapped I looked at him

“Of course” Gregor chuckled as he looked at Marco before looking to me and my father “After all she will be claimed as a Fiancée soon enough” I swallowed at the words, hell I wasn’t getting married. “And I’m sure with a girl like Star on his arm he will not take kindly to other men’s attentions” Marco licked his lips and even Seth smiled. I shivered a little; it felt like I was being undressed by their eyes.

“Gregor, I said not tonight” My Mother seemed to come from nowhere, I was sure she’d been over by the window talking to people on the far side of the room. “You  will obey and respect me in my own home”  the smile on her face a front as the tone was harsh “I’m not to be toyed with” there was a flash of lightening that lit up the sky outside as bright as the noon day sun.

“Of course my dear Astra” My Mother stiffened and my Father stepped forward “I’m sorry Rose” a wry smile played on Gregor’s lips as he put his hand over his heart and bowed his head  to her “But the truth must be told and the bond…”