Hunted

............. Things were tense in the shop Brae and I were hardly speaking he still thought I was wrong to trust Seth and I thought he was being an ass but everyone thought it was funny when I made him a snowman in the middle of the shop for bad mouthing me. I’d spoken to Seth every day the conversations were easy and light both of us knowing that there was more to come and more to happen but while we were half a world apart, we tried not to think about it.

I sat on the step of the shop my face warming in the sun. My head resting against the door frame a shadow fell across me.

“I have a package” I opened my eyes to the UPS guy He held out a large box “Can you sign here” He handed me the digital screen I signed my name and handed it back to him “Have a nice day” he smiled before pushing off the step and walking back to his truck and speeding off.

“Water” A bottle of water was dangled in front of me I looked up at Brae

“Thanks” I took it from him he scooted me over

“Look I know I’m sucking at this brother crap” He rubbed his hand over his jaw “I had another dream last night” he lowered his voice

“About what?” I took the lid from the water and took a drink

“About a night I came face to face with Cole Vandes” I tipped my head and looked at him “It was almost real everything about it” he got a pained look in his eye “It was about a year before we… well you know”

“Died, you can say it you know” I smiled at him

“Okay Before we died” he shuddered still saying it “We were at some dance and damn I had a full dance card” he poked his tongue in his cheek I groaned and rolled my eyes, you and he were dancing and he pulled you off into a side room” I raised my eye brows at him “I know… Well I watched as Seth was walking round the room looking for something and Marco stood outside of the door to the room where you and Cole had gone” I turned more on the step and moved the box to the side “I walked over there and had to deal with Marco laughing at me and telling me that what was happening was fate”

“Why what was happening?”

“Well after I’d moved Marco aside with the aid of my fist” he rubbed his knuckles “I got into the room and you were fighting with Cole”

“What do you mean fighting with him?”

“I mean he had his hand up inside your dress thingy and was trying for a home run” the blush rose in his cheeks “Not what a brother needs to see a guy doing to his sister” he put his hand over mine without looking at me “Especially because you were crying and he had a hand round your throat” He looked at me “Seth walked in while Marco stood laughing at the doorway. I moved to pull Cole off of you and away but Seth got there first” I chewed my lip nervously “Seth pulled him away from you and threw him clean across the room like you did to me the other day” he rubbed his ribs absently “All I could do was comfort you and take you home he took his brother away” He looked at me “Hell I’m confused Marco was willing to stand by while Cole tried to rape you and then a year later I shot Marco for doing the same thing to you” I nodded “and Seth… fucking Seth is the one that hasn’t done and stopped him from” He groaned and hung his head “What the hell’s going on?”

‘I don’t know but I do know Seth isn’t all bad I keep trying to tell you that… I walked with him”

“In the graveyard?”

“No before you had gone to walk with a girl on the pier not the one that’s there now the old one” he nodded as I rested my head on his shoulder “Gregor came up to me and spoke to me and I knew nothing I wasn’t scared of him I just thought he was a big wig in town and Seth asked me to walk with him” I smiled “He brought me flowers”