A Shocking Invitation

Hours and hours pass by and I am so done with interviewing people. I already have an idea of who I will approve to be trained but tonight once Rhea is asleep I will double check the people I picked. I grab my phone and I see that it's time to pick up Rhea. I get to the day care and I am so ready to see my little one. "Mrs. Jones, what are you doing here?" I gave the secretary a baffled look. "I came to pick up Rhea." She gives me a confused look. "Rhea isn't here." I gasp and I start to panic. "What do you mean she's not here?" She nods. "I'm the only one along with my husband who's authorized to pick her up." She sighs. "I tried calling you and your husband and since none of you were picking up I called your husband's emergency contact." I gave her a baffled look. "And who's that?" "Karen Jones." I nod. "Killian's sister took Rhea?" She nods. I nod and walked back to my car. I open the car and I sit down. I sat there mad and annoyed as can be. I didn't know Karen was in town. I wonder why she's here. The last time she was here things got ugly, they had a nasty argument that ended in them not speaking to each other. I don't know why Killian doesn't like his family. I mean we've talked about some things about his family and they don't seem as bad. I mean I get that he didn't like the fact that they wanted to arrange a marriage for him. And that's the reason why his family didn't want to see him oh and the fact that he didn't want to take over the family business which in reality I don't even know what that business is. I sigh as I take out my phone. I dial her number and wait for her to pick up. "Hey sister in law how are you doing?" I sigh. "You know you could have called me I nearly had a heart attack when I didn't see Rhea at day care." She laughs. "I'm sorry dearest sister." I sigh. "I'm at Emerald's with Rhea." I nod. "On my way." I hang up and I drive to Emerald's. I wasn't to thrilled that Karen was with Rhea. I didn't want Karen to influence her in any bad way. I mean I get that she's Rhea's aunt but I know Killian wouldn't like to see Rhea hanging out with Karen. I get there and I walk right in. I see Rhea playing in the little play area and Karen is sitting by herself in a booth. "Emma how are you?" "Relieved and you?" "Oh come on sis, you know you can trust me." I give her an exaggerated smile and I sit down. "What are you doing in town?" "I wanted to talk to my brother, mom and dad want to see him and their only grand child." I sigh. "You know Killian doesn't want to go and see them and without his permission I can't let them see Rhea." She gasps. "Emma how rude, don't you want Rhea to grow up knowing her grandma and grandpa?" I sat there quietly. "You don't want her to grow up without her knowing her family, do you?" I scoff. "Don't let her grow up like you did." I scoff. "I didn't have a grandmother or a mother but Rhea has a mother and doesn't need a grandmother, besides I'm here to protect her from people who want to take her away from me and her father." She gasps. "Oh gosh Emma you need to be more trustworthy, we are family after all." I scoff. "Well Killian doesn't trust you guys so that means I shouldn't either." She shakes her head. "Look can we just leave all these differences aside, my parents are getting old and frankly I'm not having any kids any time soon." I sat there quietly. "Rhea is their only grand child, I want them to be happy at least for a while, so I was wondering if I can take Rhea to go see my parents?" I gasp. "Absolutely not, never in a million years." "Please Emma, do it for them. You can go too." She hands me two plane tickets and two passports. "I'm leaving Friday, think about it." She walks away and I sat there confused not knowing what to do. I called Killian and there was no answer. I mean how bad could his parents be? They just want to see their grand child. I look at Rhea playing and I smiled. I grew up without a mother and a grandmother, why should I take that right away from Rhea. I call Rhea over and we leave the restaurant. We did some grocery shopping and then we went home. Soon after we get to the house Rhea falls asleep. I take her to her room and tucked her in her little bed. She hugged her princess doll and smiled. I smiled. How I loved this little one, she is my life. I walked back down stairs and I sat on the dinning table. I took out the files and went over the interviews again and made my selection. After I finished I sat there pondering, just staring at the plane tickets and passports. I took out my laptop and emailed the director letting him that I wanted to take some time off to go see family. He approves of my time off and I went and called Killian. His call goes straight to voicemail. I sigh as I hang up. I sat back and just tried to relax. I mean how bad could Karen and the rest of Killian's family be? My little one deserves to have more family. I mean sure she has an aunt and cousins but that's from my side. She deserves to be loved not only from my side of the family but from her father's side of the family.