Chapter 27: Showering

Robbie's POV

Since then, I've been showering Max in gifts. We're not exactly back together but she hasn't made be leave and hasn't pushed me away whenever I hug or kiss her. I'll walk up behind her randomly and wrap my arms around her, sometimes kissing her cheek or neck. I give her all sorts of attention and even more gifts. I knowb it's not right to try to buy a person's love but I was desperate to make up for the time I spent paying attention to someone other than her. I've given her bracelets, necklaces, sneakers, and a few other things. She doesn't wear any of the stuff I give her but I get it. She thinks I'm just trying to buy her back. Really, I just want one of those things-just one-to mean something to her.

"I love you. You know that, don't you?", I asked. I was standing behind her, my hands on her arms and my thumbs rubbing gently over her skin. I kissed her cheek.

"No, Robbie, I don't know that. However, m guess is you're gonna continue showering me with meaningless, stupid gifts until I finally think, 'Ooh, pretty necklace.', or 'Oh my gosh, this bracelet is gorgeous'. Or maybe you're waiting for, 'How could I not take you back, Robbie? You're spending money, of which you have plenty to spare, to buy me nice thing that mean absolutely nothing.'", she snapped, pulling away from me.

"They do mean something. They mean I'm willing to give anything to get you back."

"Money means nothing! It's money! One picture of you and BOOM! A hundred dollars right there. Maybe more. People will pay you just to see you smile, Robbie. That's what fame does. You're making everything worse for yourself. I told you I miss you. Are you just making a game out of it? 'Let's see how long Max can last?'"

"No! It's nothing like that!"

"Well, it sure looks like it. We spent years together and I never wanted you to buy me a single thing. You never had to. And you didn't do it often. " She pulled the necklace she was wearing. I had gotten it for her on our two year anniversary. "You didn't do it often so when you did, it...did mean something. Now if you walk in here without giving me something, I'm surprised."

"Max, I just...I don't know what to do. I just want to get you back. And I don't know how to do that.", I said, tears filling my eyes. I held her arms and pulled her a little bit closer. "Please. Tell me how to do that. What can I do?"

She yanked off the necklace and threw it on the floor. She ran up the stairs and I heard her bedroom door slam. I bent down and picked up the necklace. It was a locket in the shape of a rectangle. On the front it said, "I love you". On the back it said, "Always and forever". I held the necklace against my lips, as if it somehow brought me closer to Max. I finally let out a sob, slamming my fist against the floor while my other hand still kept the locket close to me. I admit, I lost my composure and threw an absolute fit. I punched the floor and walls repeatedly, trying to do damage to something;anything. After hours, I was able to calm myself down. I took a deep breath and made a decision on what I needed to do. I grabbed my keys, put the locket in my pocket (A/N-Ha! I rhymed.), and walked out the door.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Max's POV

I heard the front door close and figured it was okay to leave my room. I had listened to Robbie's screaming. Half of it was just screams and cries. The other half were cries of how much he hated himself. I walked into the kitchen, unsure of what to do. I poured myself a glass of water and sat on the couch drinking it. I heard a creaking sound but figured it was just my imagination. That it until a hand was around my mouth. I tried to scream and fight but three hands were holding me down. The last one stayed over my mouth. By the size of the hands, I could tell they were both grown men.

"Easy, Maxi. It's just us." My eyes widened.

"Okay, princess. We're just taking you home."

"I am-", I started yelling when he removed his hand. He covered my mouth again.

"I wanna let you talk. I do."

"We need to know you're not gonna scream."

"Forget it, Nate. She's not gonna cooperate. Not yet. Once she sees the happy family we can be, then we can trust her. Just get her in the car before that other kid gets back."

I tried screaming again.

"It's okay, Maxi. Dad wants what's best for us."

A cloth was placed over my mouth and nose, forcing me to breathe in the toxin. I felt myself grow limp as my vision faded. Soon enough, everything went black.