Chapter 5: Pillow

Maxine's POV

The next day, I sit at home with nothing to do. I got up and walked to Jared's room, where he was playing Call of Duty on his Xbox. I sat next to him on his bed and watched him play.

Jared: So...Robbie?

Me: What about him?

Jared: Do you like him?

Me: I guess he's pretty cool.

Jared: I knew you'd like him.

I watched him play and was amazed at his ability to focus on our conversation and the game at the same time.

Me: Yeah, but even if it becomes a thing, it won't last long.

Jared: What makes you think that?

Me: Well...I don't know. Maybe it would work out, but what if it doesn't?

Jared: What if the world ends tomorrow? You can't live your whole life by the "what if's".

Me: Don't get deep with me, kid. My point is, if we do become a thing and we break up later, wouldn't things be awkward with you two on set? I'm not gonna mess with your acting thing, Jare.

Jared: First of all, I'm sure we'd be able to stay professional. Second of all, he's only going to be on the show for one season. Third of all, stop making excuses.

I opened my mouth to respond, but I was cut off by my phone buzzing. I looked at the text. (A/N-texts will be in italics)

R-Hey, Max. It's Robbie.

I smiled. Suddenly, my phone was snatched from my hand. Jared ran through the house with my phone and I chased him. He called someone.

Jared: Heeeeyy, Robbie. What's up?

Me: Jared, give me my phone!

Jared: No!

Me: Jared!

He ran back to his room and grabbed his remote to continue the game. I snatched the phone from him and sacked him with a pillow.

Me: Don't touch my phone! Seriously, you're about to get shot!

I forgot I had the phone against my ear.

Robbie: Wait what?

Me: Oh, sorry. He's playing Call of Duty and he was about to get shot.

Robbie: Oh, OK.

Me: Jared, I'm going to hurt you so bad.

I heard Robbie laughing.

Jared: Put him on speaker.

Me: Fine, but if you say something stupid, I'm going to murder you.

I put my phone on speaker.

Jared: Hey, Rob. You should come over and play Call of Duty with me! And see my pretty sister!

Me: Jared!!

I threw my phone on the bed and tackled Jared, so we were both on the floor. I beat Jared with a pillow, but he wouldn't stop laughing.

Robbie: I'll be over in 10. I'm bored around here. Jared? Max? What's going on?

Me: I'm murdering him with a pillow!

Jared: Oh, please. You're a wimp!

Robbie: OK. Have fun with that. I'll see you guys in a few minutes.

I heard my phone make the "beep" sound, so I knew he hung up. I stopped hitting Jared.

Me: You have fun on your play date. If you need me, I'll be in the attic.

The attic is really like a third floor. It's where my desk and all my art supplies are.

Jared: This isn't my play date. This is your date.

Me: Nope. I'll be in the attic.

I went upstairs and sat at my desk. I wasn't sure what to draw, so I continued a drawing I had started a few months ago, but never felt like finishing. When Jared first started his role on Once Upon A Time, he asked me to design something for the show. I have a huge poster board. On the top it says "Once Upon A Time" and I've started drawing a few characters. I add each new character that comes onto the show. So far, I have Rumple, Emma, Hook, Henry, Regina, Charming, Snow, Cinderella, and a few more. I realized I don't have Felix, Peter Pan, Neil, Robin Hood, or Ariel, so I started drawing Ariel first. The hardest part is that I draw the actors, not the cartoon versions. I have a laptop that I use to look up pictures of the actors. I was almost finished with Ariel. When I draw, I'm in a whole other world and I have no idea what's going on around me.

Jared: Wow. You started that forever ago. That's when I was tiny.

Robbie: Wow. You're really good.

I gasped and spun around, taking a deep breath when I realized it was only them.

Me: Did you need something?

Jared: Yeah. We need to know how you do that.

Me: Do what?

Robbie: Draw like that.

Me: I don't know. I just do it. It doesn't matter.

Robbie: You know, the director was hoping to get a design for some posters for advertisments.

Jared: We should show this to them.

Me: No. Absolutely not. I don't want millions of people looking at my art.

Jared: Why?

Me: I don't need more criticism. I don't need to hear how much people hate me.

Robbie: There's no way any of them would hate you. People would love this! This is amazing!

Me: Yeah, you say that to my face.

Robbie: I would say that behind your back.

Me: Yeah, right.

Robbie: I'm serious.

Jared: Robbie, come check these out.

Robbie walked towards him and I sighed. I don't think I'm talented. I don't think there's anything great about me.