Chapter 25: Conflicted

Max's POV

Robbie wasn't kidding when he said he would be back. He came back literally two days later. He cried and begged me to forgive hi. He told me everything about what had happened, how he had ended up with her, how long they'd been a thing. I knew he thought he could win me over by being honest but I wouldn't allow it to be that easy.

"I still don't get it. I know Robbie pretty well. He'd never cheat on you.", Jared said as he brought me a cup of hot tea. He had been staying with me since the day after I found out Robbie was cheating. Jared was the first one I called because after that night, I couldn't sleep. I needed something to distract me and my little brother is always able to distract me.

"He did. He admitted it so why is it so hard to believe?"

"Sorry. I just...think you should talk to him."

"I have. It doesn't change what he did."

"Yeah but I think he really might be sorry. I don't think he ever meant to hurt you. Maybe you should give him a chance."

"Jared, it just happened last week. I won't get over it that fast."

"But you will get over it, right?"

"Jared! Who's side are you on? He cheated on me."

"I know and I'm on your side, I swear. I just think you two could work it out, you know? You two have been through so much. It's hard for me to believe that you'll just let it end."

"He just let it end. He is the unfaithful one. He took the risk of ending our relationship. He. Hurt. Me.", I snapped with tears now filling my eyes. "It's his fault."

I put my tea on the coffee table and walked up to my room. I wasn't really mad at Jared. He had nothing to do with it. I just felt...conflicted. Of course, I believe Robbie's sorry. I just don't want to send the message that I'll forgive him for everything if he just cries and begs for forgiveness. On the other hand, I miss him. A lot. I heard the doorbell ring but laid out on my bed to let Jared answer it. I heard him talking to someone and a few minutes later, the door closed. I assumed Robbie had come and Jared made him leave, which made me start crying again. I grabbed my pillow and pulled it over my face as I cried.