Chapter 38: Fireworks

Carolina's POV

"Brian! Come down to help your father with the firework things!" Suzy yelled from the downstairs.

"I'm coming, Suzy!" he yelled back, as he broke the kiss. Not soon after those words left his mouth, he reattached his lips to mine, kissing me roughly. 

"Brian!" Suzy yelled once more, making him groan out of the frustration. He rolled his eyes and leaned in again, but I put my hand on his lips, stopping him.

"You should go." I sighed. He gave me a weird look, but backed away nevertheless,  picking his shirt up and putting it on. He left the his bedroom, with no other glance. 

One more sight escaped my lips as I ran my fingers through my hair. I bend down and picked up my flannel shirt, putting it on. I fixed my hair and made sure, that my make up didn't give away anything. 

I quietly closed the door behind me and climbed down the stairs slowly. The smile found its way on my face as I saw heart-warming view. Everyone was chatting loudly, having the time of their lives, except Jimmy. He was running around, trying to catch McKenna. The little girl was giggling loudly and squealing when Jimmy was getting closer to her. 

"Well, someone's in a cheery mood." Matt smirked towards me, as I took one last step and landed on the floor, grinning from ear to ear. 

"It's a New Year's Eve, why shouldn't I be cheery?" I chuckled at him and picked up McKenna as she ran up to me holding her hands up. Jimmy tripped on purpose and fell to the ground, making McKenna let out a laugh. 

"Matt, you're a strong boy. Could you grab some more explosives out of the garage?" Brian Sr. motioned to the garage door as he and Brian were heading towards the backyard. 

"Sure, Mr. Haner!" he saluted the man and disappeared. 

I felt a soft small hand on my cheek. As I looked down, I saw McKenna giving me the one of her biggest grins ever. She started to laugh loudly as I made silly faces. I caught Brian giving me a look that I couldn't define. It was a mixture of surprise and... warmth? 

Soon, Jimmy joined in and both of us were acting like total idiots. It was going all great, but Jimmy crossed the line, when he licked my cheek, which earned a ear-piercing squeal from McKenna. 

My mouth was ajar as I was looking at Jimmy wide-eyed. He grinned at me, his blue eyes twinkling with mischiefness. I didn't waste the time, and started to run, McKenna bouncing in my arms. I heard Jimmy's maniac-ish laugh behind us and little girl and me squealed at the same time. 

Unfortunately, I managed to slip on one of the McKenna's toys. I closed my eyes, squeezing them shut and tightened my grip on girl. I was hoping to hit hard the wooden floor, but instead I was caught by two familiar arms. I was put on my feet safely and and I opened my eyes, meeting the pair of brown eyes, filled with fear. Yup, McKenna was scared shitlessly.

"You might wanna be more careful, next time." Zacky chuckled behind me, taking his arms off my waist quickly. 

"Roger that, sir." I grinned at him and put McKenna down on the floor. She took a quick glance at grinning Jim and giving him a small smile, ran into the kitchen where all the moms and daughters were. I followed the girl and entered the room.

"Oh, hello, dear!" Matt's mom greeted me, handing a plate of cookies. Mrs. Sanders, Mrs. Haner, Mrs. Sullivan, Mrs. Baker and Debbie were literally running around the kitchen, making the food and snacks for the New Year's celebration. 

I shrugged my shoulders and sat on the kitchen table, joining Chelle, Val, Jimmy's sisters Katie and Kellie, Zacky's sister Zina and Matt's sister Amy. I took one cookie and stuffed it into my mouth. The one thing that these women can do flawlessly is to bake some fine cookies.