Chapter 5: Confusion

The one week passed quickly. Too quickly. Only two days left. Two days and the school will start. From what I‘ve heard so far, it won‘t be easy. No, I‘m not talking about the lessons. I‘m talking about the social life. Just because I‘m a new girl, it‘ll be hell of a year. There still is the whole ‘social classification’ thing, which we don’t really have back in Lithuania. Cheerleaders, jocks, popular kids, geeks, freaks, divas and outcasts. The guys, minus Brian, because he’s attending other school, form a group. They belong to the popular crowd so acting tough it’s a must. I have no idea, how I will survive in there.

“Kay! Damien’s here!” I was currently sitting on the couch and watching some day-time television. Mr. and Mrs. DiBennedetto were at work, Michelle was hanging out with her friends and Chris left the city for two days with his buddies. The only ones in the house were Val and me. “Could you open the door?” Valary yelled from her room. Yeah, she and Damien are dating now. After The Beach time, Damien started to hang out with us often. And because of that, Matt distanced himself from all of us. And after that talk we had last Friday,  he became more depressive.

*Flash Back*

“So, Matt,” I started slowly. We decided to go to the park and talk. He probably knew what I’ll be talking about. We both sat on a bench in front of the small pond. “Why are you so-“

“So sad, angry, moody, why I distance myself and hate that Damien kid?” he cut me of harshly. I nodded my head in response. He looked me in the eyes. Those hazel eyes held so much emotion, that I couldn’t hold that contact for much longer. “I know you know, Carolina. I saw how you looked at me that day.” He sighed heavily. “I like her, Kay. I love her so much…” he said, desperation evident in his voice. “I knew her way longer than Damien.” he made a grimace when he said his name. “I was with her when she was happy; I comforted her, when she was sad. I was there for her. And now… Now, I’m left out. I’m not in her life. Now, he took my place.”

“But why didn’t you ask her out, if you liked her, back then?” I asked. He looked into the distance.

“Because I was afraid. I was afraid of rejection. I thought, if I asked her out, she would laugh at my face and say that I’m just a good friend. Nothing less and nothing more. That’s what I was afraid of. I am still afraid of.” his eyes became watery. He blinked sever times to stop tears. “I don’t know what to do. Actually, I can’t do anything.” he laughed sarcastically. “I’m not going to kill the guy. It won’t help.” couple of tears rolled down his cheeks. “I want her to be happy. And if she’s happy with him, then I’ll back away. I’ll let them be together.” he sighed.

I put my hand on his shoulder and squeezed it. He turned his head and looked at me. And then, he hugged me and started to cry. I hold him tightly, soothed him and whispered comforting words.  

“Matt,” I said softly. “You can’t back away. You need to fight for her. I know, I’ll be tough, because she has a crush. But it’s just a crush. It’s not like she’s in love with the guy.”

“How do you know that?” he asked, muffled by my shoulder.

“Actually, I feel really bad for doing this to her, but I was doing this undercover mission. After I saw your feelings towards the couple, I became interested in her feelings towards him. And you.”

He raised his head up.

“And what did she say?” he asked.

“She’s worried about you, Matt. She really is. She suffers. When you decide not to come with us, she becomes sad. She always asks all of us, where you are, why don’t you show up.” I said sadly. “She needs you, Matthew. She needs you as a friend. And if you keep doing what you always did for her, she’ll fall for you.” I assured him.