Chapter 26 - Farewell to the Past

Two days later and Tony had worked with Howard's engineers enough to create a functioning portal on either side of the time line. After numerous full scale tests, they decided it was ready to bring Taryn and Steve home. Taryn stood in her room at the penthouse staring at her closet full of clothes. She knew there were some things she wanted to take back with her, and Howard said that shouldn't be an issue. She began to pack the small suitcase that contained her Avenger's uniform that she came to this time in. She sat down on the bed and stared out the window, then felt someone approach.

"Come in, Howard," she smiled.

"Hey, kiddo, how's it going?"

She nodded. "Good, just packing a few things."

"I wanted to give you something before you leave."

She smiled up at him. "You have given us so much already, Howard. Clothing, help in getting home..."

He raised a hand and shook his head. "Nope, I won't take no for an answer." From behind his back he produced a fine bronze statue. Art Deco in style, the female figure was a graceful and nimble dancer in a flowing green gown. "I have a pair of these. I'd like you to have one. It reminded me so much of you."

"Oh, Howard, it's beautiful! Are you sure?"

"You bet. I couldn't think of a better gal to give it to. And it will hopefully remind you of me." He grinned sheepishly.

"Howard, I will never forget you. Thank you for the bronze."

"You're welcome. Well, I'll let you finish packing and I'll see you downstairs."

She smiled and kissed him on the cheek before he left the room.

Steve passed Howard in the hall as he was on his way to Taryn's room. He was a bit surprised to see him coming out of her room. "Hey Steve," she said as he stepped into her doorway.

He shook his head with a laugh, never getting used to that. "Hey. Packing?"

She nodded closing the suitcase. "How about you? All set to go home?"

Steve sat on the edge of the bed. "Yes. As much as I could stay here, I don't belong here anymore. And I think you're ready to go home as well, yes?"

"I am. I'll miss everyone here, but it's time. I miss everyone... and my job. I don't feel quite as ... useful here. I suppose that would change if I stayed, but in speaking with Peggy she's had some difficulties being a woman trying to be taken seriously in this business."

Steve nodded. "But she does end up doing well for herself over the years. I followed up with her a few years before you and I met. She's an old woman in our time..."

Taryn smiled and sat beside him, resting her hand on his. "I'm glad you had the opportunity to have some closure between the two of you."

"Thank you, Taryn. I appreciate that. Not many women would have been so open to the idea."

She chuckled. "Well, I'm not the usual type, in case you haven't figured that out by now."

He smiled. "I wouldn't have it any other way," and he kissed the tip of her nose.

Steve grabbed the suitcases with their uniforms and trinkets. Stark's portal was ready to fire up, and Tony had stabilized a small window to communicate before he opened a larger portal. He was currently speaking with the head engineer as Steve and Taryn were saying their goodbyes to the team.

Taryn thanked all of Stark's team personally and then made her way to Peggy.

"Peggy, thank you for everything. I'll never forget you."