Chapter 5 - Calm Before the Storm

Tasha caught up with Steve on Monday, prodding him for information about his date with Taryn. "We had a nice date on Friday and she made lunch on Saturday."

Natasha raised her brow. "Seriously? What is wrong with the girls I suggested?"

"What is wrong with Taryn? Do you know something about her that I don't?"

Tasha sighed. "No, I'm just a bit leery of those who can manipulate minds... thoughts... How do you know she isn't playing you?"

"What, you don't think she could be genuinely interested in me? She's not manipulating me, Tasha. That isn't one of her abilities."

Natasha sighed, knowing she wasn't going to change his mind. "Just be careful, please? When are you going out with her again?"

"I will. Saturday. We're going to the movies. Why, do you want to spy on us?"

She playfully hit his arm. "No. Just be careful."

Steve had run into town Saturday morning to pick up a few things for his date with Taryn. He found himself more and more attracted to Taryn. She was smart, funny and spontaneous. She was very good at her job and wasn't just another pretty face. Although that was very pretty... And her eyes... the look he saw in them moments before he kissed her. Emerald green that deepened or lightened depending upon her mood. He surprised himself in really noticing that detail. She was special and he wanted to get to know her better. And they hadn't really had a chance to talk about the kiss... He supposed it was no big deal, and didn't want to think on it too much. Thinking on it just made him want to kiss her again...

His last stop was the theater for the tickets and he then headed back to the facility to get ready.

Taryn dried her hair and curled it to tame it. It must be humid today, she thought. She picked out a pair of wide leg navy pants, white sleeveless blouse and a light little navy cardigan. She grabbed her white espadrilles and checked her makeup one last time in the mirror. She unintentionally looked like she was out of the 40s.

She grabbed her small red, cross body purse and stuffed what she needed in there and went out into the living room to wait for him. It wasn't long before she sensed him walking down the hall. Taryn rose and put on her purse and waved the door open.

"I am trying not to be surprised by that."

Taryn laughed. "Sorry, habit. I'll wait until you knock next time."

Steve chuckled and produced a bouquet of carnations, daisies and other wild flowers.

"Aw, Steve, they're beautiful. Come on in for a minute and let me put these in something."

He stepped in and looked around at her quarters. She had it decorated with photos and there were even a few paintings up on the walls. Quite homey for the compound, actually...

Taryn found a vase tucked in a cabinet and placed the flowers in there, filling it with water. She placed it in a prominent place on the kitchen countertop. She reached out and touched his arm and kissed his cheek. "That was really thoughtful of you. I haven't gotten flowers from someone in a long time."

Steve smiled and blushed at her lips touching his cheek. Note to self, he thought. Send her more flowers. He cleared his throat. "Shall we go? You look very nice by the way. Like you stepped out of one of those movies."

"Thank you. I've always loved the style of that era... It was unintentional, but I think it works."

They drove to the theater chatting about old movies and when he parked the car, he got out and opened the door for her. "I already purchased the tickets, so we can go right in."