Chapter 2 - Preparation

Taryn arrived at the debriefing room ten minutes before the scheduled start. She picked a spot and set up her laptop, reviewing files until the others arrived. Rogers was the first in the room. "Good morning, Taryn. I trust you slept well?"

   She nodded and smiled, sipping her coffee. "I did, thank you."

   He nodded. "The others should be arriving shortly." Steve went about setting up the computer to review the files for the latest mission.

   Every so often she looked up from her own laptop to watch him. He definitely was a handsome man. One could tell that he was not of this time. He was considerate, kind, well-mannered. So not the type of men she had dated in the past. They just weren't like that anymore. Too bad, really. The world could use more men with integrity like that. He looked up from the computer and smiled. She was about to start a conversation, but the others entered the room. They all sat and Steve and Natasha began the briefing.

   It had been discovered that a man by the name of Markus Thornfeld had been working to develop serum that would neutralize any inherent and/or mutant abilities that people had. Founder of Thornfeld Enterprises, it was publically known that he despised anyone that had any genes that were not normal, human DNA. He hated supes, mutants and the like, and he encouraged violence against them because they were not natural. Speculation was that the serum was complete and that he was going to sell some to the highest bidders.

   "Thornfeld Enterprises is holding a show in three weeks. The "Tech and Mech Expo". He's featuring all of his corporations' projects. Military weapons, combat machinery, tactical clothing."

   "But rumor has it, he's going to be holding 'special' auctions after hours," Natasha picked up the briefing. "According to our sources, Thornfeld has been developing a serum that once injected, will cause any human with enhanced abilities to lose said abilities. This is extremely detrimental to mutants and those who have been classified such as Taryn and Wanda. It wouldn't affect someone like Steve because he is simply the peak of human strength, healing and such. Along with ability defusing clothing, anti-enhanced-human weaponry, he is going to try and sell the serum also."

   Steve brought up images on the screen of prototypes of some of these products. 'That is where Taryn comes in. She has been an undercover operative for SHIELD for a number of years. She will pose as an arms dealer and weapons expert reviewing the developing products for a small Eastern country to purchase. All of her background is already in place. The expo is for five days. She will pose as Doctor Caroline Frasier and we've already gotten her an invitation for the expo. Taryn, we'll provide you everything you'll need for the operation."

   Taryn nodded. She would learn her lines, learn her character. Live it for five days. And she had three weeks to prep. More than plenty of time. She'd been on other assignments where she'd been handed a dossier that morning and was expected to complete her mission that night. This would also give her time to get back into the shape she wanted to be.

   The briefing came to an end, and she was introduced to everyone on the team. Natasha had already left the room, and Steve was chatting with Sam. Taryn packed up her laptop and made a point of stopping to speak to Wanda.

   "I know I wasn't there, but in reading the information from the Director, I was saddened to hear of the death of your brother. Please accept my condolences."

   Wanda was taken aback, but she smiled and extended her hand. "Thank you, Agent McKenna..."

   "Taryn, please," she said with a smile in return and accepted Wanda's hand. "No need to be formal as we'll be working together." They chatted for a bit, and Taryn excused herself.