Chapter 8 - Best Girl

The next morning Taryn woke to a vivid cerulean sky and a warm day. Apparently Natasha had packed an overnight bag for her too, so she took out a light green spring sweater and a pair of cream colored pants. After getting cleaned up and dressed, she made her way down to the kitchen. It was very quiet down here today compared to last night. Everything was cleaned up and it didn't seem as though anyone was home. She decided to make herself a cup of coffee, found the single cup maker then went to the balcony to sit and watch the sunrise.

Taryn reflected on the events of the past few months; getting recruited for SHIELD again, training with the Avengers, falling for the one and only Captain America and losing her abilities. It was a lot to take in, but sometimes life was like that... much unexpected.

She heard the door open and turned to see Steve up and dressed in a nice tee shirt and jeans. She smiled. "You're up early."
"I could say the same of you. May I join you?" She nodded and he set his coffee cup down on the table and sat beside her.

They sat in silence for a while, watching the sun come up over the city.

Steve finally spoke. "Taryn, would you have dinner with me tonight?"

She smiled, "Of course I will, I'd love to."

"Good! Great! Um, I need to head back to the compound this morning but Pepper said you're welcome to stay here the day and I'll pick you up tonight."

"Well that sounds like a date, Steve. I'll see you tonight."

He drained his cup, and stood, smiling as he left.

She sat in blissful silence for about an hour until she heard a chime. "Agent McKenna?"

She looked around but saw no one there. "Um...yes?"

"Agent McKenna, this is FRIDAY. The boss said you were to have full run of the house and cars if desired today." Ahhh, one of Starks A.I. programs.

"Thank you FRIDAY. I think I should like to do some shopping. I have a date tonight," she replied with a grin as she walked back into the kitchen.

She was suddenly scanned and FRIDAY's voice piped up again. "I have programmed the Mercedes with all the stores that carry your size. The boss has asked me to open credit lines in all of those stores in your name, so no need to worry about money today. Consider it his birthday present to you."

Wow...that was awesome... she'd never been on a shopping spree before. But she knew she would still be frugal, but she definitely wanted to look extra nice for her date. But could she top last night's dress?

When she got into the Mercedes, she found that it would drive itself to its programmed destination. Leave it to Stark, she laughed. FRIDAY was in here with her, so she asked to go to Saks and would start her shopping there. The next time she glanced at her watch, it was three pm. She had gotten everything she needed for tonight so she figured she'd better head back to the tower and get ready. She ran into a few paparazzi that recognized her, but since she wasn't quite as famous as the rest of the Avengers they only snapped a few pictures... Although by the time she got back to the tower there were a few of them around hoping to catch a glimpse of Tony or any of the others. They took shots as she made her way into the building and the car went to park itself.

After Taryn dressed, she looked at herself in the mirror. She wished she had thought to ask Steve where they were going. She had purchased several outfits but decided on the one she currently stood in. Taryn had splurged on a beautiful off white colored ABS jewel neck sleeveless dress with a fitted bodice and flared skirt. The dress had a lovely lace overlay and was trimmed with black leather at the shoulders and had a black leather belt. She pared it with black leather single strap Manolo Blahnik sandals and finished it off with the necklace from Steve. Taryn felt beautiful and giddy and really hoped he wasn't taking her to a pizza joint. Laughing to herself, she made her way down stairs for a stabilizing drink.