Chapter 22 - Criminal Encounters

The next morning found Stark just coming home from the office. No new news, however, so there wasn't much sense to hover around scientists all day. In light of yesterday, Steve asked Taryn if she wanted to spend the day with him around 1946 New York.

"Aren't you afraid of getting recognized?"

"It's been a year... I'll wear a hat and glasses. It will be fine. I thought maybe I'd take you shopping then later we can hit a swanky place for a late dinner and dancing."

Her eyes lit up at the dancing offer. "Really?"

"Yeah, why not? There isn't anything we can do with R & D today as they have all that we have right now. And it's only been a few days..."

"I hate to be spending Howard's money though. We didn't come here with any..."

"Howard gave us a very generous allowance. Let's go get some new clothes for tonight and paint the town red."

She laughed. "You're slipping into the slang all over again, Captain."

He smiled. "I guess I am. What do you say? Get away from reality for a little while?"

"Alright, you're on."

Natasha Romanoff paced in front of the cell that held Leo Alphonse. "Do you have anything yet?"

"Well, if you'd stop yelling at me, Agent Romanoff, I could think better..."

"So help me, if this field wasn't up, I'd throttle you!"

Tony stepped in. "Let's all just take a deep breath. Alphonse, you need to take the files we downloaded and see if you can piece together something we can work with."

"I know, I know, Iron Head. I'm working as fast as I can."

Tony glared at him. "My teammates are God knows where, and you need to find them!"

As Taryn was dressing for the shopping outing, she suddenly had an idea. Running through the halls barefoot, she ran into Howard before he set off for the office again.

"Whoa! Slow down! Everything alright?"

"Yes, I just had an idea. What lawyer do you use?"

"Cadwalader..."

"They're still in business today! I mean my time. What if I wrote a letter to the team to let them know that we're alive here in this time?"
Steve, hearing the conversation, approached them. "Do you think that will work?"

"It's a long shot, but the day we showed up here was the same day we were sent back. August 16th. Howard, what is today's date?"

"August 20th."

"Do you think your lawyers would hold a letter to deliver it to our time?"

"Stranger things have happened, I suppose..."

"It's worth a try. Howard can you get me some paper?"

They dashed into Stark's office and she sat to write a letter.

"Tony, et al

Please know that Steve and I are safe. We're in NYC and it is 1946. We're staying at Howard Stark's penthouse in the city. He has a group of brilliant minds working on solving the issue from this end. I hope this works and I'm sure you're doing what you can on your side of the time line. I'll send another letter soon. Taryn and Steve."

Taryn addressed the envelope to Tony Stark, Stark Tower, 200 Park Place, New York, NY. She sealed it and handed it to Howard.

"Tony Stark?" he asked.