Chapter 25 - Contact with the Other Side

Tony Stark was making strides with his version of the portal. He'd run simulations, all of which had been promising. He had started work in a formerly empty lab at the tower and was running some successful tests on some pylons he'd created. The last seventy year old letter to arrive stated that his father's team had some success as well. Tony's hope was that they could initiate the portals simultaneously, which would give them a better chance at getting McKenna and Rogers back.

The team had turned Alphonse over to the authorities and the rest of them had supported SHIELD in rounding up straggling HYDRA agents involved in this latest scheme. The media had gotten suspicious of the absence of both Captain America and Vibe, running stories about secret missions and secret honeymoons. The press would have a field day once the two did return. Stark knew Taryn at least would have a sense of humor about the stories; Rogers would just be mortified.

After dressing, Steve made his way down to the office to check progress while Taryn was going to stay at the penthouse to pour over some files. A little while later, the phone rang. Jarvis soon appeared and presented a note to Taryn.

"Thank you, Jarvis." She opened the note and was perplexed that it was from Peggy. She was asking to meet Taryn for lunch. Thinking about it for a moment, she called Peggy's boarding house leaving a message that she would accept.

Jarvis drove her down to the restaurant at noon and Taryn ordered a drink at her table while she waited for Peggy. Moments later, Carter arrived looking smart in a wide-legged pant suit and sat down opposite Taryn.

"Sorry for the impromptu lunch request."

"Oh, that's alright," Taryn replied. "I have to admit I was a bit surprised though."

Peggy smiled and ordered a drink. "I'm sorry. I just thought it would be a good opportunity to get to know each other, chat a little..."

McKenna took a sip of her drink, feeling a bit awkward considering this was her lover's ex-girlfriend. They ordered and sat quietly for a bit, then Peggy spoke.

"So, how did you come to be involved with SHIELD?"

Taryn explained her story to Peggy. Her childhood, SHIELD training and retirement. "Then Coulson asked me to come back in, feeing my talents would be useful again." She told her about all of the Avengers and who could do what and Tony, Howard's son.

"A real god?" Peggy asked wide eyed.

Taryn nodded. "Yes some myths are real," she chuckled. "I've not been to Asgard, but I hear it's beautiful."

"That is fascinating," she replied. Silence passed between them for a moment before Peggy spoke again. "I envy you, Taryn. The women of your time seem to have so much freedom to do what they want... be who they want."

McKenna was surprised. "To an extent, yes. There are many other countries that still treat women less than equals, but our country certainly has made some strides."

"So you were born with your abilities, then? It's quite amazing. Is it prevalent in your time?"

"Well, some of us... gifteds, mutants, Inhumans, what have you... were brought in by SHIELD, or other groups to help train and cultivate our powers. Others tried to strike out on their own becoming dangerous or self-destructing. There are many more who are undocumented, so we really don't have an idea of how many are truly out there. I for one will always be grateful to SHIELD for taking me in when they did."

"Well, from what Steve has told me, you're quite the agent. And he is quite smitten with you."

Taryn felt her face heat. "Well, he's a good man. It's hard not to love him. He keeps me grounded and I add a little spontaneity to his life."