Chapter 10 - Fireworks on the 4th of July

Taryn woke bright and early and she dressed in shorts and a tank top in preparation for the work outside today. She hoped that she could make him breakfast for a change, but no, he was already up in khaki shorts and a tee. The more she thought about it, the more she figured that moment last night must have scared the hell out of him. She hoped that today would still be a good day.

He looked at Taryn sheepishly and immediately apologized for the night before. "I am so sorry, and I understand if you want me to leave. I have my bag packed and... I thought I should make you breakfast first..."

She raised a brow. "Really? You want to leave? Steve, I would have pushed you away if I didn't want to be kissed like that."

"Oh, well... I just don't want you to think I do that sort of thing all the time..."

She leaned in and kissed his cheek, and he visibly relaxed. She sat on the bar stool. "You know, I'm not a delicate flower. If I wasn't into it, I would have kneed you."

That got him laughing. "Okay, I get your point. But I promise to be more of a gentleman."

Taryn rolled her eyes at the back of his head as he was dishing out breakfast. She didn't understand how that was possible but she wasn't going to say any more.

They ate quietly and had decided that they would work around the house fixing any more loose shingles he found. She wanted to clean up her garden a bit, and Steve found a few more loose shingles to reattach. Steve was remembering how his parents were in the summer. Working out in the yard, mowing the lawn, planting flowers. He smiled as he watched her water the herb garden and was filled with nostalgia. This trip was such a good idea and a real breath of fresh air. He didn't think any of this would be possible in this time.

Taryn stood and wiped her brow with the back of her gardening glove, leaving a streak of dirt on her forehead. She caught Steve looking at her and she playfully stuck her tongue out at him. "Hey," she called. "I need to get something out of the garage attic, can you help?"

He nodded and set the hammer down and followed her into the garage. "Just be careful on those steps. They don't look very safe."

Taryn agreed. "I know... I just haven't gotten around to fixing them."

"What do you need up there anyway?"

"I've got some empty flower pots up here that I thought would look nice on the porch with some petunias or something in them." She made her way up the stairs and almost made it to the top when the railing came away from the steps. She lost her balance and tried to recover when a stair broke in half. "Oh, shit!" she cried and over the edge she went.

"Taryn!" It was like slow motion watching her fall. He ran to the stairs and managed to get beneath her just in time to catch her in his arms.

Taryn watched her life flash before her eyes. She knew the stairs had needed repair, but she hadn't thought they were that bad. She had no idea what she was going to do. There was nothing to grab for. She closed her eyes, hoping she wouldn't break anything and then suddenly Steve was there. He caught her in his strong arms and held her tight, a look of pure alarm in his eyes.

"Taryn! Are you alright?"

She dropped her head on his shoulder. "Yes... I just feel like an idiot. I'm glad you're a good catcher. What would I do without you around?"

Steve shook his head. "Probably break a lot of things... you okay?"

"If I say no, will you carry me around all day?" she joked.

"It's very tempting, but we wouldn't get anything done all day."

"Hmm I don't know about that..." she leaned in and kissed him, wrapping her arms around his neck.