Chapter 16 - Nursemaid

Taryn was released from the hospital about a week later and it was interesting to use one crutch to hobble down the hall way in. She didn't want to wait for anyone because she wanted to be independent and get the hell out of the medical wing. She reached her quarters and flopped down on the couch, exhausted.

Well that sucked, she thought. Getting around would not be fun or easy. Good thing she was a telekinetic with her powers regained. She thought about the bottle of juice in her refrigerator and it floated out to meet her. She was pouring a glass for herself when she sensed Rogers approaching the door. Opening it, he stormed in. "What do you think you're doing?"

"Um, having some juice..."

"I mean, not waiting until someone helped you out of the medical wing."

She raised a brow at him. "Are you scolding me, Captain? Was I a bad girl?"

He pursed his lips. "That isn't funny."

She sighed with a smile. "Oh, lighten up. I'm not helpless and yes I will take it easy. I just couldn't stand being in there anymore. I've seen way too much of the hospital wing."

He sighed and sat next to her in a chair. "I know, I know. I just don't want you getting hurt again..."

"I know, and I appreciate the concern. And you can come check on me every day..."

"Well I thought I might stay with you while you recuperate."

As nice as that sounded, she thought it also might just drive her a bit nutty. She loved him, and was grateful he wanted to help, but for him to keep her from doing anything may put a strain on things. He was already straightening things out and moving things around so she could get around her quarters. She sighed. Taryn accepted her fate and agreed for him to stay. She would need help in the shower and getting around. She just hoped it didn't screw up their relationship.

Steve waited on her hand and foot and even carried her to her room at night. However he did sleep on the couch as he didn't want to accidently hit any of her injuries in the middle of the night. She had tried to convince him she'd be fine, but he wouldn't hear of it. So she settled in an accepted it until she could get around without crutches. After a number of weeks, her arm was still in a sling and she was limping but she could get around much easier.

Taryn was sitting with her leg propped up on the couch when he brought her dinner. She had directed him on making stir fry and it smelled delicious but he was nervous about it tasting right. She shifted so her leg was on a pillow on the coffee table and had him sit next to her.

"Is it any good?" he asked.

She nodded. "It really is good, thanks for putting it together."

The oven timer went off and he jumped up to take rolls out and put them in a basket. "My, Captain, you're very domestic."

He laughed and tossed a hot roll on her plate. "Well I figure I owe it to you..."

She put her fork down and glared at him. "Steven Grant Rogers. If you don't stop going on about how this is all your fault and blah, blah, blah, I'm going to throw something at you. And remember, I don't have to get up to do it. We both know the risks of working for SHIELD and being an Avenger. If it wasn't this guy wanting revenge for something it would be someone else. Evil doesn't like good, no matter who is involved."

He stared at her for a moment and realized that she was right. If their relationship was going to survive their profession, he was just going to have to accept that every time they went out as the Avengers they were potential targets. Their true identities were also known to the public. They were out there and they could always be in danger. But what kind of life would they have together if they constantly worried about it. Never leaving the compound wasn't an option. They'd both chosen to serve the greater good.