Chapter 21 - Reunions

Taryn woke a little more refreshed and found that Howard had ordered a number of different outfits for her and Steve for the time they would be there. He was thoughtful and had good taste and apparently liked to see a woman's curves. Not that she minded at all. She put on a light pink satin blouse and a chocolate brown skirt, seamed stocking and brown pumps with little pink bows at the toe. She attempted to put her hair up and back like she had seen in all those old movies. Taryn admired herself in the mirror. "Not half bad," she thought, and went down to have some breakfast.

Howard was sitting at the table reading the newspaper as Jarvis poured him some coffee. He set the paper down and whistled. "You've got a nice set of gams, Ms. McKenna. You a hoofer?"

She blushed slightly. "A dancer? Yes, I was once, before SHIELD. Thank you for the clothing Mr. Stark."

"Howard, please. Coffee? Sugar?"

"Yes thanks. I can get the sugar." And she reached out with her mind to bring the sugar bowl to herself. Jarvis almost dropped the coffee pot.

She laughed. "Sorry about that. One of my 'gifts'. Telekinesis."

Howard set his face on his hand. "Fascinating.... What else can you do?"

She raised a brow. "Well, I also know what you're thinking, Howard. And I'm flattered, but I am rather attached to someone."

Stark straightened his tie and she could see him blush. Rogers appeared in the dining room, and Stark hid behind his newspaper.

Taryn giggled into her cup and said nothing further. "Did I miss something?" asked Steve sitting.

Howard cleared his throat and changed the subject. "We're scheduled for a meeting at two today, so we'll head down to the office then. If you'll ah, excuse me... I have a few phone calls to make."

"What was that all about?"

"I think I startled Howard with my abilities. No sense in keeping him in the dark though..."

He nodded with a chuckle. He could only imagine.

They ate quietly and Steve sat reading the paper. Taryn sat watching the traffic far below and marveled at the differences between her time and this. Before long it was time to head to Stark's office. Taryn put her jacket on and followed Rogers out of the penthouse. Howard was behind her and she turned to look at him over her shoulder and laughed and shook her head. He was as incorrigible as his son Tony.

The scientists and brightest minds from Stark Industries who had been recruited for SHIELD, began to assemble in one of the large conference rooms in the building. Stark, Rogers and McKenna waited in Stark's office for the arrival of Peggy Carter. They all knew the reunion would be awkward if nothing else, so Howard thought it best to keep that to a small audience.

Taryn sat in a large comfortable chair near a bookshelf when Carter entered the room. "Howard, what is the urgency?" Rogers took a deep breath and stood up from the chair facing Stark's desk. He turned to her and it took a moment for her to register.

Peggy, not one for melodramatics or fainting spells took a few steps back, then ran to him and kissed him.

Taryn twitched in her chair and Stark glanced at her to make sure she wasn't going to pick something up and throw it.

Peggy then took another step back and slapped Steve hard across the face. "What the hell is going on?! My god Steve?! How?! Why didn't you contact me?"

Taryn approached Stark's desk and stood quietly.

"Who is that woman?"

"Can we please sit down and discuss this like civilized people?" asked Stark.