Chapter 6 - Undercover Operative

Three days before the start of the Tech and Mech expo, the group assembled in a briefing room to go over everything that they would need to know. Tony would be attending the expo also, as he was rather expected to attend. Taryn was provided a list of possible attendees and who to watch out for. No guarantees that Thornfeld would be present at the expo, but they needed to get their hands on the serum at any cost. Even if they didn't get it all, at least a sample would help SHIELD develop an antidote. She hoped Thornfeld would be dumb enough to show because she'd love to take him down. But she would have to be patient and at least take care of the business they were sending her to do.

Taryn rose with the sun on the first day of the expo. She kept her hair down, soft and flowing and put on a pair of designer glasses. The gray suit she wore was tailored to fit and she slid on her black leather businesslike pumps.

Before she left for the city, Steve went to see Taryn in her quarters.

"I know what you're going to say, and I will be careful. This isn't my first rodeo," she said to him before he could speak.

He sighed and laid a hand on her shoulder. "I know you will. I know this is what you do. I know that you're highly trained." Rogers stepped closer to her, gently brushing a lock of hair from her eyes. "I also know that I... I care about you. I've just found you and I don't want to lose you before we can explore ... us.... I've lived through that once, but I don't know if I can do that again. It should be me out there, taking the risks -"

McKenna laughed out loud and put a finger to his lips. "Ha! Welcome to the 21st century Captain! I love how you want to protect me, and I love how you care. And I love the thought of spending more time with you after this is over." She moved her hand to the back of his head, and pulled him down to kiss her.

A beep in her com signaled they were ready for her. She broke the kiss and started into his bright blue eyes. "I will come back, alive, and we'll have more time to continue this. Now see me off, ok?"

He nodded and walked after her to meet the others. Natasha gave her the ear piece and the cell phone that would be used to make the monetary transactions. She was briefed on where everyone's position would be – Romanoff and Wanda would be in a surveillance vehicle. Captain America, War Machine and Falcon would be ground support if needed. Vision would provide air support and was stationed just beyond the Brooklyn Bridge and could come in fast and hot if necessary. Tony was attending the expo, using his company and knowledge of weapons as an excuse to check out his competition. Taryn had reservations at the Plaza Hotel to keep her profile high. She would be staying there until the end of the expo and out of contact except for the special ear piece and phone. Both would leave untraceable, scrambled signals.

Taryn said her goodbyes and walked to the 2003 BMW Z8 waiting for her and climbed in. Rogers walked over to the window and bent his head down. "Take care, and we'll see you soon. How about dinner when you get back?"

"It's a date," she responded with a wink. She spun out the wheels and drove off for the city.

Steve felt a pat on the back. "I'm sure she'll be fine," said Tony. "We'll be watching out for her."

Steve smiled, still looking after the car. "We'd better. I have a date with her when she gets back."

Tony clapped Steve on the shoulder. "Well, well, well. Good for you."

Taryn pulled the BMW up to the valet parking and stepped out of the car, handing the keys to the attendant. Another attendant took her baggage and followed her into hotel.