Chapter 34 part 2

Chapter 34 part 2

Lucan was sitting on his bed waiting to be cleared by the doctor, the nurse was checking over his arm and wound, his jacket was slung on the bed and his sleeve was rolled up, the nurse checked his wound and asked if it hurt he looked at her and said “Of course it hurts love what you expect it to do, i got shot”

The nurse just nodded as she began to dress up his arm, Lucan sighed, there was a short set of taps on the door and Lucan said “Come on in Caleb”

Caleb walked in and closed the door behind him, Lucan could tell by his body language that Caleb was depressed, he was slightly slumped and his eyes looked worried, Lucan looked at the nurse and waited for her to finish, even as Caleb sat down on a visitors chair he stance was still depressed, Lucan has worked with Caleb for years and knows him all too well to know when something was wrong, one the nurse finished Lucan said to the nurse “is it ok if we have some time alone please ill call if i need anything”

The nurse smiled as she walked out of the door and closing it behind her, Lucan looked at Caleb and asked “you ok?”

Caleb looked up and said “yeah why?”

Lucan smiled “Well you look like you got the face of a busted boot that’s been melted on a open fire”

Caleb smiled but it soon disappeared, Caleb sighed “no, i guess i don’t feel ok”

Lucan looked surprised “Oh, what is up?”

Caleb sighed “i made a mistake, which killed thousands of lives today, the gas bombs weren’t at the city, i was dam sure that a bomb was where we were but it wasn’t, i didn’t believe in my team i should have seen all the signs”

Lucan sighed “So your doubting yourself, is that it?”

Caleb didn’t answer he just said “first my Elder betrays us and dies and now more lives are lost how blind am i, i have been living for years with years of training how the fuck could this happen”

Caleb was frustrated and had his hands on his face, Lucan sighed and said to Caleb “What could you have done?”

Caleb looked at Caleb “I don’t know, prevented it or something”

Lucan had a smile “well if you did you could be dead as well or worse”

Caleb eyes widened slightly as Lucan carried on “Listen here Caleb there is things we can’t control and death is one of those things, Humans have a short life span but they live there day like its there last and they embrace death, as we live longer we don’t have lifespan, we die when we die”

Caleb sighed “i guess your right but i still feel like something could have been done about it”

Lucan smiled “Its better to live and fight another day, you lived so now we get to fight another day, plus we know where there held up, but we got one day to plan this and i need you at your best, one day you could take my place”

Caleb looked worried and a bit weary, as Caleb arched a suspicious brow as he asked “What are you talking about?”

Lucan smiled “Don’t think I’m getting soft on you but after the fact i have been shot, working as a captain for years i could be made redundant but i won’t be giving it up to a young punk who doubts themselves”

Caleb smiled “A young punk eh?, i’m older then you, you know that don’t you”

Lucan snorted and said “Ok a old punk”

The two stared at each other and the tension could be cut with a knife, but the pair of them cracked up laughing that it echoed and could be heard down the hall and even the next ward, Ana walked by their room with a smile on her face, on the way past she stopped by a waiting room with Marcus and Luna both asleep, Marcus was upright while Luna was asleep flat resting her head on his lap, Ana carried on walking and she bumped into Ruby on the way, Ruby looked at her and said “Ana? Why are you dressed like that?”